local people with no hearts

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by uttatoo, May 21, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    went down to local sand pit just to check it out and visit with some people i know and there where a couple of people down there whoe where showing off there catch they had caught a 20lb channel cat and a 48lb flathead
    by the time i got there they just had the heads on sticks stuck in the ground and had the bodies in a cooler on ice
    not to mention a five gallon bucket full of small channels about 15
    thats how small they where
    i just turned and walked away at the sight
    they said whats wrong i said that was wrong you should have turned the big one go one of the guys told me why theres plenty more it just made me sick and i drove off

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Gus,
    One day they'll learn, just like they are now at Milford Lake.:angry:

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I feel your pain, have seen it way to many times. I had a buddy offer some one $100 to take a 60+ lb. flathead. They said they needed it to live. He told them they could take the $100 if you let it go and then you can go buy some other food they laughed at him and walked away. He then reached in his wallet grabbed the $100 and showed it to them. But they kept walking away.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hey I heard at the tournament last weekend at Milford the winning team had 3 30 LBS. Pretty good for that lake I must say.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I hear ya Gus. 5-10 years ago I dont think that it would hurt the population that bad if it were caught on rod and reel.Times have changed. Technology is making it easier to target fish in lakes, with high dollar depth finders and the like. Also information is so readily available, from sites like this and others, that make it easier to newbies to catch fish. I think that we can all agree that catfishing wasnt this popular 5-10 years ago.More and more "fisherman" want a quick fix and dont want to spend the kind of time some of us have invested.Ask any "older" member and they will tell you how much this site has grown, it has grown exponentially.That is not counting the non-members viewing the threads. That means more people taking fish of all sizes from our rivers and lakes, many not maintained by stocking.I believe that it is more important now to practice selective harvest than ever before.More people fishing for the same amount or less of fish equals no fish for anybody. I would like to see some type of release law for any cat that is over 30''. Like I said, information is at everyones finger tips. Some one can learn in one month what many of us have been learning for a lifetime. It didnt used to be like that. Keep a camera and be satisfied with a picture. I think that we can all agree that the smaller fish are more plentiful and easier to catch.Not to mention they havent been swimming in the water that "we" have ruined for as long as the big ones.

6. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    what I think we need is a better definition of "trophy management" As it stands now, flatheads are the only "trophy" catfish out there. Blues are on their way, but not yet in that class. But when the state defines trophy fishing at keeping any and all fish, any size, any age, is that really management of a trophy? statewide, channels have a limit of 10, and in some places 5, others 2. They do not have length limits in most places, and the places that do, only say release fish under 15 inches. Flatheads, our trophy fish, have a statewide limit of 5/day. even in the state lakes where channels creeks a limited, most flat limits are still the same 5/day as the state wide. This is trophy management. And I may be wrong, but I have never been to a body of water in kansas that has any lenght limit for flatheads, you can therefore keep every 6 inch fish you catch, and also every 80 pounder you catch, up to your 5/day. This is trophy management?

This guy at the sand pit is just as un educated as the boys in Pratt that make the laws. They just cant see that there is a problem, until the problem is so bad that it can no longer be fixed. and when the people making the laws say you can eithically keep any 5 flats you want, everyday of the year, then the general public is going to do it, and probably keep more when possible.

This is just my opinion of coarse

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Wilson lake has a new length limit for blues. No blue can be kept under 35". How is that for trophy management? Daily limit is 5 and all have to be at least 35". There is another Kansas lake that has the same limit this year also, but I can not remember which one.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Kyle, you may have a point about the number of people fishing today than 5 or 10 years ago. But, 5 or 10 years ago you seldom heard of CPR and its everywhere today. It is still the indivdual's right to keep what they caught, but I bet more people are practicing conservation than there is killing the large fish. Just my thoughts on the matter.

9. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    all I can say is, its about time.

I did not know of any lakes with such restriction, thanks for the information!

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    We need to start a massive petition and submit it to Kansas Legislature and see if they can force the KDWP to take immediate action. :angry:

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    a 35 inch minimum legth limit has been established on blue cats at wilson cheney and el dorado resevoirs. to be honest with you that is a fair deal. considiring ive never caught a blue cat at wilson(or any other lake ive ever fished at) with this legnth limit it gives me a chance to catch a very respectable blue cat.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ya cant fix stupid. :angry:

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Donnie the only problem with a length limit of this size is most people will keep that fish over 35" and before long, "again you wont have any big fish.

As for Milford catching the 30lb + blues last weekend, that use to be very, very common from that lake.Just ask some the locals.

Now its rare,......Yes there are some still there but not by the numbers of yesteryears!!

Pratice CPR of those BIG CATS!!!!

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i guess you got a point there. the only thing the limit will do is keep fish under 35'' in the lake. still if you think about it a 35'' bluecat should weight a good 30lbs. which in my opinion is a very nice fish.

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Your right Donnie a 35" cat of any kind is a good fish that i would be proud to catch and CPR on any giving water in the US.

Your a young man and i would like to know that in 20-30 or 40 yrs from now you are still catching them 35" plus cats every where you go.

Good luck in your quest for that BIG cat, i can tell you are a very good cat man for your age and it's sportsman like you that will make a differance if these fish are in our water yr to come.

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Josh, actually, they caught four Cats OVER 30 lbs. Trust me, that is the exception for this lake NOW. These two guy's are VERY experienced Catfishermen, who know this lake VERY well. 4 to 5 years ago, the AVERAGE or no experienced Catfisherman could catch a 10 to 15lbr regularly, and a couple a day. Now, a 10+ Blue or Channel is quite rare for a weekend person fishing for Catfish. And if they continue to keep them, they will become even more rare.
    There are to many "NEW" folks who catch a big Catfish will not be satisfied with a picture, they just have to take it back, to either their campsite or home. I don't mean to be critical, I've just seen it personally to many times. There it'll be, hanging from a tree, or whatever, everyone standing around having their picture taken with the "Bigfish". Then find it floating in the lake next day.:sad2::angry:

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Keith, you, or any numbers of anyone else, "FORCES" the kdwp to do ANYTHING they don't want to. You probably could have every Catfisherman in the state of kansas sign a petition, and if it ain't what "THEY" want to do, it won't be done, because it's just not necessary according to "THEM".:angry:

18. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    As stated already, El Dorado has a 35" minimum limit on blues. That limit is supposed to be in effect to keep anyone from harvesting ANY blue cats. El Dorado was stocked with blues a few years ago and there aren't supposed to be any fish over 35" in there yet.

That info is from the fisheries video on the KDWP website and I also read it somewhere else.

19. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I have talked to them before about this .that is the setline limit. At least they began to realize maybe some sort of limits were necessary especially on smaller lakes.Although I think 15" length limit encourages people to keep the big ones. Idon't begrudge a guy keeping a couple but a lot of them are ridiculous about it. I used to fish at Shawnee Mission a lot and they had a 10 limit. We would catch 30-50 channels a night and let them all go.There was one guy who would be out 3-4 nights a week with 3 guys in his boat and keep every fish. He had to be selling them to a fish market or something. There's no way he could have eaten them all.What he was doing wasn't illegal but unethical. I gave the jo co parks 2 different petitions one for all-night fishing one for decreased limits. Some guys wouldn't sign the limit one.We got the all nighters. It took a couple of years and Wildlife and Parks to convince them. Good luck getting Wildlife and Parks to do anything.I suggested a slot limit between 15" and 25" and turn everything else loose.

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats about the same slot limit I had in mind. That would limit would greatly improve the amount of trophy fish. :big_smile: