Local Paducah boat show

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by J.BENKE, Jan 28, 2007.

1. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    did anyone go to the paducha boat show

2. goosehead32

goosehead32 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah, I had to work a booth on Friday night and saturday morning. it's torture sitting there looking at all the gear and boats and not just be able to leave and hit the water. Looks like winter's here. Anybody fishing? The boat show was pretty slow on Friday night, but picked up on Saturday. The usual suspects showed up. A few boat dealers and some tackle shops. kentucky hydrographix was there. Anybody know about them or use their products?

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Went yesterday and missed you Neal. I talked to Paul about the pathetic laws for catfish raping in Ky and I guess he did not appear to like my opinions to much but oh well, one day we will have laws on catfish in ky. I guess we will always be the last in the union to do anything sensible for our fisheries. Other states around us are continuing to improve, including Alabama possibly now. Other than that, the boat show was the same as always, bass lures, bass boats, pontoons and more bass junk.LOL

4. goosehead32

goosehead32 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry I missed you, Demetrius. That's funny to hear you refer to that. Paul actually mentioned talking to somebody about catfish when he came to work on Monday. FYI, I'm proud to be a member of BOC. On here, I'll try to keep my work affiliation separate from my enjoyment of catfishing. However, from time to time, I'll comment on issues or ideas that people have to help give people some incite into why we do the things we do. I'm not sure what Paul and you talked about. As an avid catfisherman, I support regulating catfish and including them as sportfish as much as anyone. BUT, you have to take each case separately. Most people think that putting a creel limit and size limit on a population of fish automatically improves the population and fishing success follows. That's not always the case. Harvest of fish is good, it keeps the population from getting too large, and makes sure there is plenty of food and space available for the remaining fish to improve their growth. If growth is good, we'll keep having good numbers of large fish to catch. Some lakes can sustain high levels of catch and harvest and never need regulations because the growth is so fast. That's just the biological aspect. There's also a societal aspect of fisheries that deals with what people want and expect from a fishery. There are a lot of people out there that don't agree with us, that catfish should be regulated. The answer to this situation is to collect as much data as we can. Understand the population as well as we can, and promote the regulations that we think are appropriate for each body of water. We are in that stage right now. As catfishing has become more popular, we have begun to collect population data on them in order to make informed decisions in the future. At this point, we have not collected enough data, but in a few years, we'll have enough to make some decisions on what's going on. Convincing people that it's necessary may be tough, but if we have good solid data to lean on, it will help. One thing that I'll ask. Hope this explains our side of things a bit. I'd be glad to talk more about it with you anytime.

Tight lines!!

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Neal, I do understand the aspect of maintaining a fishery. What I do not understand is why the big fish over 34" or maybe even 40" have to be harvested in the means that they are. I ask myself why neighboring states adopt these laws and we the state of ky continue in our backwoods state. I really and honestly believe there are to much harvest of big catfish in our rivers and lakes. The commercial fisherman state that there main catch is small fish for markets, if so, why then do they continue to remove the big cats. I really believe to many of our fish are shipped to other states for paylakes, which should totally be outlawed, as there are rivers close to these states for people to fish in. But thats another story at another time. I also believe the bassers don't like the big cats as they believe they eat to many of there fish. Which is actually false, as catfish mainly eat shad and herring and other smaller fish. But, I have heard Neal, from commercial guys own mouth, that they DO OUTFISH CERTAIN AREAS AND MOVE TO OTHERS UNTIL YEARS LATER WHEN THE FISH MOVE BACK IN. THis is wrong, these fish were not put here to be slaughtered in the ways we do. I really don't see how you guys are gonna get accurate studies on our big catfish. There are creel limits on most other fish accept catfish, with the growing interest in our big cats, its time Ky wildlife agents and the state officials done something to help the growing sport.

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Neal, I have a few questions for you on our catfish. What is the hatch ratio of big catfish to small catfish on egg hatches? I have heard that bigger fish lay more eggs but there eggs are no good and don't produce hatchlings. Also, how old would a 50" blue or flathead be? I have heard mixed results on aging of catfish. Do the fish in Ky grow as fast as neighboring states. Thanks.

7. goosehead32

goosehead32 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Demetrius,

I love talking about this stuff, so keep it coming. I agree with you. A maximum size limit is a good regulation to put on any catfish fishery. It allows people to harvest some fish below, but makes it so that the trophy fish can grow bigger. I have also heard that a lot of big fish are caught and transported to pay lakes. That's a major concern of our director right now and they are talking about ways to stop that from happening. Not sure where we'll end up with that. My gut feeling is that is more common in the Ohio than in the big lakes in my district.

I'm gonna answer your questions, but I thought I'd start a new thread since I think there may be others that would be interested in that and may not find it in this thread about the boat show.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I know I'm looking forward to reading that thread.