Local PA tournaments?

Discussion in 'TOURNAMENT TALK' started by Bassmaster23, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Do we have any local PA catfish tournaments? I was looking on here and didn't see anything for our state. I know blue marsh has some but thats all off boat.. Im looking to go to tournaments in PA for shore fishing.. Thanks for your time and i look forward to the responses..

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    ricks bait shop used ta have a one at blue marsh years ago, but i've never heard of any others at blue marsh for years, only place i know is a couple times a year they have some along the susky and i'm sure along the delaware.

3. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I know Catfish Nation has a tournament series on the susky throughout the season. But i'm not sure about if the allow shore fishing

4. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    Check french creek outfitters in the spring,there should be a flyer for the spring city channel only contests( rt 100 bridge down to rt 29 bridge).I think they have 4 a year.The canal association at lock 60 has a small tourney,for the longest catty.I think its the third sat in july.Payout was less than $100,so it must be real small

5. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys ALOT.. I was thinking about writing cabelas about having king kat tournaments here in pa like they do in texas and other states.. We have one here in PA so yeah.. Anyone think thats a good idea to do??

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Adam,

Tanner is on the BOC quite often, you could send him a private mail.

Biggest issue would monetary support from your local Tourism Board.

7. Gladwyne VFW has one every year.

8. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    I don't think that the fish commision will ever allow a large scale flathead tournament on the schuylkill river.Remember the flathead is an invasive species on the skuke,if bank fishing is allowed,you would have to kill them before you transport.The commish is afraid of further infestation into other waters.They turn a blind eye on small tourneys,but enforce on larger ones.That is why the spring city tourneys are channel only.They use to sell 100 + tickets 4 times a year.I wouldn't kill a big fish for a tourney,most people won't.Not to mention there is not one boat ramp that could handle the amount of boats for a king kat.I only know 1 that is lighted,most have curfews, luckily they're not enforced.It would be fun on home water,I'm sure some local BOC brothers could do real well.Maybe someday they'll see the light & it could happen

9. Good post Vince. The commision knows it's too late to stop the flats, and actually are putting flathead fishing in thier reports without a mention of killing them off. I would feel if it was big enough that the commision would make money off of it actually, in visitor liscence fees, permits, boating violations, haha, and advertisement to bring in more anglers and money they might have a look at it. I just don't think the big dog tournament jawns look at the Skuke as a place they would consider to thier likings.

I 'd rather just keep it the way it is with the small, hometown and bait shop tournaments like we have now. There is enough pressure on this river as it is, ya know?:big_smile: I never fished that Gladwyne one, but I know they have prizes for both species and I know that the Commision gives them a permit every year to run it. I'd like to give it a shot next year, I just don't know that stretch of water to well to target. And since they knocked that Conshy dam down, Ya know some of them hogs from the Bridgeport stretched migrated right down to that VFw's area.:wink: The public ramp there is closed at night, but if ya get a mebership at the VFW, that ramp is 24/7.

10. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I can see everyones point about the pressure on the fish in our area etc.. I was thinking having more tournaments at blue marsh since its already used alot but not really used to hunt catfish. I know the local bait shops would have them a couple times but nothing real great.. Why not have a local club thing from this site.. Like we all put in 5$ or whatever and send everyone out like they do with there bass tournaments.. All money would be divided out to the winners and we know each other so cheating would not be a concern etc. Maybe one day it could be bigger as in people from other sites etc but for right now i just really wanted more a less a competion with a reward at the end for people to fill back up there gas tank haha..

11. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I won the Flathead catigory lastyear at the Gladwyn VFW tourny. You would have to fish against me on my home waters :eek:oooh:. That might be fun. For me!:smile2: I'm just playing. I fish it from the bank cause I don't have a boat. Shoot, one of you guys might even be able to talk me into fishing with ya off a boat :wink:. I have no prob. transporting Flats to the weigh-ins alive and they let you release them there at the ramp.

12. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania

HAHA yeah to be honest i dont think i would ever beat you at fishing unless maybe its fly fishing haha. Im just one for competition and having fun. This year was awesome all around for fishing for me. I didnt catch any monsters like you len,tan,NPT etc but i will soon enough :wink:...