Local ocean fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Aug 10, 2007.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    A little ocean report from the Los Angles area......Plumbertom1 and my self decided to fish out of LA harbor or Cabrillo Beach. The local fishing off the Santa Monica Bay to the west is some what "ucky" now. Their is a "bloom" in the water that is irradescent green, and I did not want to fish deep for the rock fish and so we decided to go to the "Horseshoe kelp" area just outside of the LA breakwater. We got a late start, as the entrance road that I went down was closed as it is only open on fri and the weekend. I did not want to back up the 1/4 mile as there was no place to turn around....un-hooked the boat and did the simple turn around.

Finally in the water, and out to the new bait receiver in the outer harbor, we picked up some mixed chovies and dines, and headed out. The plan was to look for the "party boats" or the birds and breaking fish....... Just outside of breakwater, we saw lots of feeding birds, and moved up on some scattered kelp, and some "boiling fish".

Tom started out with a 1 oz lead head tiped with a Berkley grub, and as usual, he got the first fish, a nice 10 year old Calico bass (CPR) whic was leagal at 16 inches. I did some work on the bottom with a dine, and Tom caught another fish....... Small catfish bait (mackeral) which we kept for an upcomming cat trip.....

We fished, or drifted 4-5 various concentrations of bait, and surface action, and our luck was with us again, as I caught a nice fish that from the start felt like rather nice fish, as it was going for the rocks in 70 feet of water. I put the stick to the fish, and got it off the bottom, and finally got the fish to the surface. "ling cod" it was, with a rather "poop" color to it. I asked Tom to get the net, and since we had not used it yet for the day, he was slow to get it into action, so I just "bounced" the fish into the boat. "Short" it was....They are good eating...... we did the CPR thing, actually, it tooks some time to get a hold on this fish...... spines and all. I decided to use the "glove" to handle the fish, and wouldn't you know it, I dropped it and it slid into the bielge at the back of the boat....Getting a fish out of this area of the boat is a "hastle". Not an easy thing to do, as I cannot kneel down with my new "replaced" knees, and so I had to lay on my belly to try to fish it out....slipping and sliding back and forth at the back of the boat (the fish), I finally got it out...... Maybe I should have just left it there.... as the DFG would never have looked for a fish there....It was 26 inches, and the limit is 28.

We then decided to head to the "Flats" off of Huntington Beach to see if this is where all of the "party boats" were. We settled into the 11 mile run down hill with the 3 foot waves and went around many of the "super tankers" moored off shore waiting to go into the inner horbor. about half way there, we could see that every commercial boat from four landings were on the flats and anchored up and fishing.....we did not see...."catching".

Never the less, we started our drift, and nothing was happening....... the local reports indicated that the afternoon bite was the better time, I had to finish my day off with some afternoon Golf, and so we cut these drifts on the flats short with 3-4 drifts...... I had switched to the lead head with one pole, and a dine on another as we tried to get some of the sand bass that we werre sopose to get........ My Garcia messed up, or my thump did, and I tried for several minutes to get into the "birds nest" and passed it off to Tom so that he might "get it out". I handed my pole of to Tom, and took his pole, as he was dragging a lead head on the bottom...... "Tap/Tap.... I set the hook in 60 feet of water, and this fish had some bulk to it.... "thanks Tom"

Got the fish to the surface, and it was a "log" berry....... Tom did the thing with the net, and into the boat and into the fish box...Slimmy fish..... more than Mackeral...... I mean that these fish are big time slimmy.....

Oh.... I forgot, Tom did get a keeper sand bass..... 16" and with the wind turning we headed back......... Rough trip back.... into the wind chop and swells....... We decided to head north to the "Long Beach" gap, behind the breakwater to get some smoother water....

got some pics of the fish..... had a great time. Working on the next trip Tue and Wed for some lake action......

Bayrunner ray

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks for posting that report and the pics, Ray.
    I got home yesterday evening Cleaned and packaged that sandy and Beri. and hit the sack. I was so tired.
    Got up this morning started to fix my breakfast and found something sticky had spilled in the fridge so I been cleaning it up all morning.
    I didn't leave It for my daughter to clean up seeing how with her bad back she has a harder time bending over than I do and I didn't want my 11 year old granddaughter to have to do it 'cause she would try but wouldn't do a very good job and my son-in law wont be back for at least a week.
    So that kind of leaves me without time to write up a good report.
    Right now I'm just taking a break to cool down now that the mess is cleaned up before I load stuff back in the fridge.
    Amazing at the stuff I found in there, like 6 different bottles of mustard all different types and all opened three bottles of ketchup also opened, every brand of grape jelly ever made it seems like, Three different types of pickled olives and ten different salad dressings. It's a big fridge but it seems like there is never any room in it. I wonder why? :eek:oooh:

3. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Awesome report! Sounds like you guys had a good time out there. That is a nice looking Cuda and poop cod. I haven't been out in the salt in quite some time, glad to hear you guys had a good time. Thanks for posting the pics Bayrunner!

Thats a bummer about the fridge Tom, sounds like you stumbled into one nightmare of a project. I know what you mean about finding stuff in the fridge, we use to have a few science projects mysteries growing in our fridge.

4. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    i fish out in long beach and seal beach pier good fishing

5. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for the report and pictures Ray. I have about four honey holes at Horseshoe Kelp that is loaded with fish. One is for rockfish another for sculpin and lingcod, anther for sanddabs.

Jaime

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    The trip before Plumbertom1 and went out of San Pedro, I had a pay back fishing trip with my welder buddy Steve, and we decided to take our two sons with us..... what a nice trip we had........ We hooked up several "big fish" that cut us off after much effort to bring em in. Later we found that the fish we were catching were jeuvenile Thrashers.........

Well, I went out yesterday with buddy Steve and his wife to see if we could land one of those creatures with decent rigs....... We used a dead, whole mackeral, and put it out double hooked and "fly lined" it behind the boat while, we drifted over a local reef off of Malibu Beach..... on our second drift, the clicker on the Penn Senator started to sound, and I picked up the rig and held it and let the line peel off in several runs as Steve got on the harness to fight the fish.

When he was ready.... about 10 seconds, I handed the rod off to him and he set the hook and our battle began.... Not really a big fish, as it was just the right size to makes some steaks for several families eager to try this fish.....from the BBQ.

So here is a pic of the Thrasher that we caught.....

bayrunner ray

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Very cool Ray! How far out are you? What was the weight? All I have to say is AWESOME! Sound like fun brother. Thanks for the pics:wink:

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Great Reports Ray" & "Great Photos as well"! :wink:

"Thanks for sharing them with us all".
    :0a31:

Take it easy - Later, :0a22:
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Robb..... We were just off he coast of Malibu....about about 1 mile off shore...Just far enough to want to see with binos who was on this "private beach" area east of the Malibu pier....We did not weigh the fish.....

bayrunner ray

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Looks like some nice eating there. I like every kind of shark I've tried, except for hammerhead, which had a 'whang' to it I didn't care for.

11. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    asdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

12. gilmafam

State:
    California

JT.... I have heard mentioned the same thing...... My mentor on the "Ocean front" is a transformed Texan...... Once you know this, and him, you understand that their is a fine line between truth and "fibbin". I'm not sure if he was run out of town or just ran out of girl friends......or it was the call of "Surfing", but my buddy "captn jack" knows his stuff as far as cooking sea food, or any other outdoor thing....

With the knowledge of cooking from Mexico to Hawaii and Texas to boot, he does know how to prepare the fish.........."you got to bleed the fish" "you can't" just throw dissimilar fish on top of one another...... with many other fish, you need to get rid of the lateral line blood meat.

With this shark, and other fish, you can keep the skin on sliced fillets, and then immerse into salt water to clense the bleeding meat.... Next you need to get rid of some "uck" flavor by placing the fillets in some "hole milk" or breast milk for some 20 minutes.......:smile2:...This is what gets rid of the "pissy taste"

Next, you season the fillets with the usual S,P etc and lastly, you spread some "mayonasse" onto the fillets and that is a way that the moisture stays within the meat.....3-4 min on a side, and go to it.......I've only tried this one time, and it was augmented with "tater tots" and a well stocked glass of that Tennesse Sipping stuff over cubes....

worked for me......

bayrunner ray

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    That sounds so good Ray. I can almost taste it:wink:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ray, I do the mayonnaise thing with catfish fillets. I salt them, place them on a foil covered tray, spread mayonnaise about 1/4" - 3/8" thick over the fillet, then broil as far away from the heat as possible till the mayonnaise starts to turn dark brown. Then I check the fillets to see if they're done. Unless I happen to be using really small fillets, they'll need some more cooking. I switch the oven over to bake and set it at 350. Remove the fillets when they are completely done.