local mentor needed...

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by kanko44, Feb 13, 2009.

1. kanko44

kanko44 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hi, just posted in the sc catfishing forum, but should have posted here I guess. I just bought a new tracker boat (first boat ever owned) and want to teach my kids to love fishing!

Couple of quick questions,

Is winter fishing in the Waccamaw river any good? What bait should I use? I used to catch big catfish in the hudson river as a kid in NY when striper fishing, especially at night. Is night fishing good here as well? What type of bait is best, and can I get it in winter? Are the coves off the river the best bet, or the deeper part of the river (in the middle)>

If anyone has experience fishing in the waccamaw river, would love hear/learn as much as possible. We took the boat out last Sunday in Conway, and headed north a few miles. Sure looks like some great fishing, and we want to go this weekend if the fishing is good.

Thanks for any advice, sorry to ask such newbee questions!

Thanks,
    Mike

2. catfever

catfever Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    Hi Mike, Welcome to the BOC, the waccamaw is a great river for cats, i have caught some nice ones north of conway, live bream, cut eel work great for bait, i have had great luck fishing at night or day.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck to you Mike. Welcome

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've never fished that far up on Waccamaw, Mike, but it is a beautiful river. Welcome to our part of the world at the BOC. There are a few on here that live over your way, so maybe they will jump in with some more info. Don't overlook the surrounding rivers below Conway, including the pee dee and lower section of the Waccamaw. The Great Pee Dee below and above US 701 bridge looks great, too.

5. kanko44

kanko44 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the quick replies!! I really appreciate it. This site is great, what a bunch of info I have found.

I am planning on going tomorrow, unless it rains. I plan on hitting a lot of the rivers. The only reason I am going to conway is that is the only place I have been so far. We bought the boat last Sat, and had it in the water most of the day sunday breaking it in, getting used to everything.

Do you guys go fishing this time of year? I know in the winter a lot of fishing slows down as the water is much cooler, but I was wondering if you guys catch fish this time of year!

Thanks again everyone,
    Mike

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    WELCOME to the BOC from Bennettsville. For CERTAIN we fish YEAR AROUND. I think the largest fish of the year are caught during the colder, winter months. The blues migrate down to the coastal river areas during this time, and bite real good! Try the lower Waccamaw down at Winyah Bay in Georgetown. I fish the bridge pilings there (hyw 17 bridge over Waccamaw) and have a ton of fun. Shad, herring, mullet cut bait works real good!

Bill in SC

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome to the BOC!

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Mike welcome to the BOC from the Pee Dee Catmasters. The waccamaw is a great place to fish. Live and cut eel will probablly be your best bait but and fresh cut bait will work. The winter time bite is great especially on the lower waccamaw down around the Winyah bay.

9. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC
    Mike,
    My name is Capt. Darryl Smith. I am a guide here in SC. Kevin one of the staff members told me about your needs. I fish the Catawba Chain from Wylie to Santee. I fish year round. Matter of fact this is the time of year to fish for big fish. If you would like for me to help you tell me more about what type boat, equipement, and what type waters you would like to fish, and maybe I can put some kinda game plan together for you to help you get on the Bigguns. I'll be glad to help you, it's my job!
    Capt. Darryl

10. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Mike welcome aboard! Do you realize that you have just asked a bunch of fishing junkies to be your mentor? :eek:oooh: Do you want a divorce? :wink:
    Just pickin! There are great guys and gals here and plenty of the help you requested. If you ever decide to take that boat on a road trip we have some pretty good cat waters all over the state.

11. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Welcome to the BOC and congrats on the new boat.

12. Stephen Edmunds

Stephen Edmunds New Member

State:
    McCormick, South Carolina
    :wink:Welcome to the BOC.

13. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Mike WELCOME to the BOC!! I cant help you with the waccamaw, but I can promise you WILL NOT find better information any where else. I am still learning a ton every day from these guys!! Good Luck!