Local lakes info for Oklahoma City area....help

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by SkipEye, Sep 11, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hi all,

I am hoping for some info on the local lakes near OKC. The ones I could fish after work everyday for a few hours with a boat. Can venture further out on the weekends.

Not a lot of activity on the Oklahoma boards but maybe I can get some info in time. I'll be there for 6 weeks.

Lakes like:
    • Hefner
    • Overholser
    • Stanley Draper
    • Thunderbird
    • Arcadia
    • Hiwassee
    • El Reno
    • And of course for a weekend trip, gotta hit Texoma:wink:
    I catch and release most fish, might keep one to eat every now and then but it would be a smaller fish.

So what do you say Okies? Can you help a Missouri guy out?

Prefer to fish for Blues or Flatheads.

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Darryl,

I can't help ya much on the OKC area lakes, because I'm in the Tulsa area. I have heard some good things about T-Bird though. And for a weekend trip, you might want to plan on heading over to Keystone. Latest report I heard was that the blues are biting with an evening *post 6:00* pattern around wind blown points near where sandies are surfacing.

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Thanks Tony, I'll have to figure out where Keystone is also then. It is still almost 1 month until I get to Oklahoma.

I plan on meeting up with Albert out that way somewhere also.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Daryl. Arcadia does have some blues and channels. But the largest blue, I think, has only gone 53 pounds. Bunches of the fiddlers. It is something like 20 miles from the FAA center, if thats where your headed. About any mud hole in Oklahoma is gonna have catfish in it, just not big ones. LOL

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Darryl, when you go through Tulsa and hop on the turnpike headed southwest towards OKC, look north, that's where keystone is.
    More specifically when you pass the Bristow/Hwy48 Exit Keystone is just a few miles north of ya then.

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    HI Darryl, If you have a chance fish Keystone. The flatties in my avatar pictures were caught at Keystone this past June.

Jaime

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Darryl, my avatar flattie is a thunderbird jugline fish. maybe we can set a few out when you get here.

my daytime # is 405-275-1053....morning is best time to catch me.

i'd like to go fishing with you when you get here. give me a call.

also, the okie state flattie record was caught at lake el reno..not too far from the city..check it out!:big_smile:

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I already planned on looking you up buddy. Was hoping you'd want to do a little fishing. I've never ran jugs. Well when I was a kid I did a few times but didn't know what I was doing.

I'll be giving you a call.

Thanks,
    Darryl

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Sooner lake about a hour north of OKC would be a good weekend lake to check out. It's known mainly as one of Oklahoma's best hybrid lakes. Tons of hybrids, sandies and some stripers. Setlines are illegal on the lake, rod and reel only and one of the best kept secrets for boating a big blue. There's quite a few taken on a somewhat regular basis in the 70 to 80 pound range. I have a buddy that caught and released a 86 pounder out of sooner two years ago. Arcardia would be your best best for blues close by but nothing too huge.

10. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kaw Lake is also known to having a couple of blues in it. They have already moved shallow.

catman george

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris- I checked on Sooner Lake today regarding the big blue cats you mentioned. Sooner does not have much reproduction because,apparently, OG& E has sealed most of the rip rap with concrete to stabilize the banks from erosion. Naturally, this eliminated most of the nooks and crannies for spawning sites. The big fish being caught are the remaining stock. This info came from the ODWC biologist that oversees Sooner Lake. Fish Kaw instead.

I will have a Kaw report by the weekend or first of next week.

catman george

12. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I know that's there's some reproduction since I caught at least ten blues under three pounds the last time I fished Sooner about a year and a half ago. The rip rap is man made and there's still plenty of places for them to reproduce in other natural places.

13. zimzam

zimzam New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Have any of you fish Ponca lake? I heard this is good for cats and crappie. Also strippers below the dam. I have never been there and want to try this lake and also sooner lake.

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Man, I better stay away from the dam area. If my wife caught me around any strippers she'd take my fishing poles away from me!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

P.S....... Any leads on stripers would be safe though. Thanks!:wink:

15. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    THAT MISSPELL COULD CAUSE A FELLA A LOT OF GRIEF :eek:oooh:

16. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Never fished that lake, but for the strippers, I'd go to the Red Dog.:wink:

17. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    You guys are voicing what I was thinking about the strippers. I like fishing below Kaw, but strippers are strictly off-limits, according to mama. I wouldn't know what bait to use for 'em anyway. lol.

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

I hear they go on a feeding frenzy when you throw a couple of greenbacks out there.:smile2:

19. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    "HEAR" ????????????????? and he's been telling us he spends all his $$$ on gas:smile2::eek:oooh::tounge_out:

20. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh no you don't Mr Big Sam..........

Mrs SkipEye reads this forum and we need to clarify that SkipEye don't fish those waters!!!!!:crazy: