local lake in High Point NC

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by natethe great, Jan 8, 2008.

1. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    ok guys how do i find the cats in my local lake here in high point in these cold monthes do i anchor and hope for the best or drift slow lage or small bait bottom or just deep i mean i need help and where in the world r the shad i lost a nice net i had trying to find the deep and only retrieved about half of it dang it well if you can help me dont hessitate cause i need it well thnxs again to everyone and untilol next time good fishing
    :wink:

2. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I believe bait and cats are deep right this moment for how long I dont know. Depends on the weather ,moon and wind. (Go deep). As far as the moon this Saturday at 2:00pm for a hour or so is suppose to be the best it can be for fishing and hunting according to the charts.

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Last winter we searched steep drops and points that fell from shallow all the way to the channel. Lets just say from 12 to 55 feet of water. We may spend four or five hours just searching different points and ledges. The one holding the most bait is the one we return to at about 30 minutes before dark. We try to anchor so we can reach all depths with our baits and we cast to all depths as best we can. Even in the coldest part of winter our best fish seemed to come from the 25-35 foot range generally. As for the noise, I always seem to catch the best fish when I'm alone. After setting the bait I sit as quietly as I would if I were squirell hunting and the hits always seem to come when I've been sitting still for a few minutes rather than when I'm walking in the boat. When my two sons are with me (8 and 12), which is most of the time, they like to play and wrestle and call the fish (here, kitty, kitty, kitty). I'll offer them five bucks a piece if they can just sit still for five minutes and our hits will generally come during this quiet spell. Coincidence? Maybe! But I personally don't think so. Also, we seem to get the most hits after dark. We generally leave about 30 minutes past dark (fish or no fish) bacause we're frozen. On the occasion that I'm alone, I'll stay later if I'm having take downs, and I have on one occasion sat there until about midnight consistently catching catfish from the 12-20 foot depth range. I think this was an unusual situation though, because I was fishing adjacent to a shallow cove where there had been a large shad kill, probably due to the cold water. All these fish came in the dark, in the winter, and in silence. Wind dead calm, water temp 39.

We had never before in our lives fished the wintertime until last winter and we know very little about lake fishing. 99% of our success is due to the info we got from the fellows on this site and CATFISH1.COM. Thank yall!! I hope this info helps somebody catch a fish!

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Are there no shad in the bubble line?

I don't think I have ever been over there that there were not bait fish in those bubbles.

Of course my experience in winter there is limited.

Slow drifts down the creek beds is what Jeff told me worked best in the winter over there.

5. dhjunkie

dhjunkie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nate,
    The folks that had the most success fishing from the bank at Oak Hollow. Where they fishing around the cement wall to the right of the boat ramp? What were they using for bait?

6. dhjunkie

dhjunkie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nate,
    The folks that had the most success fishing from the bank at Oak Hollow. Were they fishing around the cement wall to the right of the boat ramp? What were they using for bait?

7. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    well to be honest with u dh i dont know cause havent worked there in a while but tommarow ill be there @ 7a till 5pm so if ur in town stop by but if not thats kewl and also to put it out there the big cats are out deep as far as i no and if u cant get out that far ur not going to be to lucky but u never know well till next time good fishing

8. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Hi guys Ive been workin in HP for 7 yrs now and have never fished or even thought of fishing @ Oak Hollow.......... I dont know ne thing about the lake other than the fact Ive worked all the way around it @ 1 time or another... lol. Is this a good lake to fish.... Im guessin mostly Channels and Bullhead??????? Ive got a 14' jon w/ a 15hp outboard....can i run that motor on the lake???? And if not can ne one suggest a good bank fishin sight???? Thanx for any and all help:smile2:

9. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    There are blues, channels and shad in the lake. More than enough of a combo for an interesting day of fishing. Drifting seems to be the most productive technique there so far. Your boat should be fine.

10. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    ok boys and girls here is some tips for oak hollow winter fishing. Shad are at most hard to come by. they should be balled up in the deep water look on your depth finder for larger mass of shade this will most likely be shad, if that don't work go into the feeder streams and start casting your net in about 4' of water. the bubbles are a bust in the winter. look on points and drop offs for shad as well. now for the cats once again drifting works well use cut bait drift slow and deep, i find the areas i fish in the summer holds cats in the winter as well. Fishing action will not be as fast but the size of the cats will make it up you will have less dinks. now where to fish that will have to be up to you to find them but start on the sandy ridge leg. also i find that i can almost alway get shad around the sandy ridge bridge and in the back waters, You will not need a lot of had a 1/2 doz should last most of the day they will stay alive in a bait tank for a long time with cold weather.

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    What's up Jeff?

Long time no hear.

My son got two BIG bucks this winter.

He's got the flyfishing fever now and wants to hook a big carp on a fly.

LOL

Tight lines my friend.

12. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    hey im glad u spoke up yes ur boat would be fine although i would suggest not a really nice day in the summer because we do allow 10 ski boats to be on the lake at one time and it will get verry choppy some time also if you pick a cloudy day or a brezzy day u will be ok cause thats when it tends to slow down well back to the ? on the fish yes there are plenty i mean pleanty of shad in the air lines near the damn all summer but dont try to get them now enless ur willing to let your cast net go all the way to the bottom and yes there are some decent channels in the lake that produce decent channel cats and they say there r no blues in the lake but i disagree and also there are whites when it comes to bullheads theres not many b/c the lake is not that muddy well i might be going out this weekend but im also trying to get out to tillary for my first time so if i decide to go to oak hollow ill let u know and maybe if your not working ill take u out and show u around also riddleofsteel and ncfowler are two great guys that know about the lake as well so if u have any further ?s please ask till next time good fishing

13. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    hey steel i've been working and doing some hunting i got 3 deer this year on my friends land. Waterfowl season has been rather slow for me just not that many ducks where i'm going. the low water killed off most of the aquadic grass and weeds so the ducks have not been there in numbers like the past years. We need to get together for a cup of coffey and some bs. give me a call I think saturday i'll be around may need to go to gandermountain and spend some of that green stuff.