Local Guides?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Drum, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Drum

Drum New Member

State:
    McEwen, TN
    Ok folks, I'm going to be honest. I'm not a very good Catfisherman. With that being said. I'm tired of wasting time and gas. I want to know when, where and how to get on Catfish when I go fishing. I have a good boat, a good depth finder and some good Rod & Reels. But I spend so much money on gas and other things that are mandatory to taking the boat out and come home 99.9 % of the time with nothing. I need to know if anyone knows any fishing guides in the New Johnsonville area of the TN River. Thats where I launch my boat everytime I go. I have had a few good days but the empty handed days out weigh them by far. So if you guys can hook me up, I'd REALLY appreciate it! Thanks!

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well thats the way it is for all of us sometimes. Just more time on the water, and I feel for you on the gas issue I get 9.5 miles per gallon in my truck and add boat gas to that and it adds up quick. I don't know if you take notes on weather conditions etc. it helps to look back and see what the water temps were and weather when you were catching fish. What depth you were fishing. Try new stuff last weekend I went out and caught some really nice channels about 15 to 18lb range and some little guys but every hole seemed to produce I went out monday and couldn't get a fish in 6 hrs, I couldn't figure it out but thats the way it goes.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Lots of folks here on the BOC down your way that'd probably show you around for free.

A guide is a good option though. I would check first on the BOC guide section for someone in your area.

Fresh SkipJack should be available in your area and that should be your number one bait choice!

Here is one Guide that sponsors the BOC and specializes on the TN river.

http://catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61088

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Gregg,
    Although a guide would give you some good pointers and info on tactics, rigs etc. and hopefully give you a productive day out they will really only be a temporary fix. There is no substitute for putting in your time and learning your craft. You say that you have the occasional good days and it is these that you have to build on. What was the weather, how high was the water, where were the fish, what baits worked and be able to project some of this to cover different days that have different weather or water conditions etc. A good guide will be able to give you a crash course in some of this but only in general terms.
    A mistake so many guys make is to fish the same way in the same places because they caught fish that way in that place once before. To be consistently successful it is critical to adapt to changing conditions.
    By all means hire a guide if only to confirm to yourself that your tackle and basic techniques are sound or not but patience and the ability to learn and adapt is the key to long term success...W

5. Drum

Drum New Member

State:
    McEwen, TN
    Thanks for the info guys! Makes a lot of sense what you all said. I have put in lots of time, don't get me wrong. One thing I haven't done is take notes on the conditions. I will start doing so.

6. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    winston,
    I like how you make things simple.I have been in the same situtation as the other man.Some one came along and made it simple to me.

thanks again
    mr smith