Local fishing holes in Texas

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by need4fishing, Feb 18, 2006.

1. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

i am looking for a nice place to go bank fishing late march-early april, somewhere around the waco area. i will travel to other places to try them out. i had thought about trying some of the dam/spill ways like at whitney-aquilla, still-house, or back at the lake waco spillway. i was trying to pick a time that fishing would be better to take some of my vacation and hit the water. with being limited to bank fishing and limeted on fishing luck(last year only caught 1 cat & 1 turtle) hopefully this year i can do better, and get more chances to go fishing.

2. marco88

marco88 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont know if you prefer river or lake fishing. With the rivers being so low right now I have been taking some walks checking out where I would fish when the rivers are higher. Areas that still have water would be pretty deep holes and also look for things like fallen trees and logs. I have been finding out lately that some of the places I have been fishing are probably not the best spots to fish. There seem to be a lot of members from the area so I am sure you will get some useful information.

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    dont know if its still accessable or not, but when i was at tsti in waco i used to fish below the spillway there on the baylor campus. gotta be careful though as they lower the spillway gates several times a day. good fishin hole.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    If you don't mind a short trip, you can check out Lake Mexia. It is a good lake for catfishing on the bank.

5. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

lake or river is no problem for me, i will try both. i have never fished rivers cept for the waco spillway. travel is fine, just have to take car instead of truck for those. thought about trying mexia/ft.parker, but i dont know anywhere to go up there to hopefully catch something. i would be willing to maybe go toward whitney, mexia, still-house/belton areas or any others within like say 60-80 miles or so, just due to gas prices/mpg in car(camaro) round trip on longer trips would be close to full tank.

6. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    Give Etipriga a PM he is from waco and will know of some spots.

7. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I live in silbee but we have a place on Lake Limestone and some friends in Waco. It doesn't take long at all to get to LL from Waco. It is probably one of the best catfishing lakes in Texas.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Except when water is being released, the last time I was at the Whitney dam, the water below the dam was pretty low, very wadeable. Some of the smaller rivers in your area are very wadeable and wadefishing for cats, especially channel cats, can be fun. Also, you aren't that far from the Trinity. Check out that river.

9. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

thanks on these ideas on where i can try. hopefully by the time i go we will have enough rain for the lakes and rivers to rise some. i was going to try baiting a spot at tp&l and fish it few days, baiting every day with maybe some range cubes. since thats close lake to me, free, and alot of bank access, just to bad i heard they quit using the power plant, so fishing may not be as good as it used to be(for the ones that caught fish anyway). the lake waco spillway is nice place, usually went last year during the week on days off, with maybe 1 or 2 people there, but only hooked a turtle, staying there 3-6hrs at a time, sometimes early morning 8am-1pm, or at night 4-8pm and had no luck, used worms, shrimp, and some stinky bait.
    even if i only get to try only one of the places i would be happy to atleast catch 1 fish on the trip no matter what kind it is. maybe catch something new to me, used to catchin pan-fish, bass, and channels. thanx for u all's ideas

10. marco88

marco88 New Member

State:
    Texas
    A couple summers ago I fished the heck out of the spillway. The secret to that spot is shad. You need a good size net and a long rope, but if you can catch any out of there you will almost certainly come home with something. I have tried just about everything out there, minnows, livers, worms, goldfish, perch, cutbait. Caught a lot of different fish from that spot. DK punchbait(they have tons of it at walmart now) works great for catching smaller channels there. I could go on and on about that particular spot so let me know if you would like more info on it. When the weather is a little better, I plan on trying out some other spots.

11. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

more info on the spillway would be nice, which area do you fish and which catches more. i have tried that 1st little area closest to the bridge and the area a little past the bend in the straitaway to the water release area. only thing i really dont like about the spillway is the snakes that swim around and upto/onto the bank where im fishing. i would like to catch some bigger cats too, my biggest so far was maybe 10lb from old tp&l (or thats what i was told the name of it was, was many years ago since been there where ever it was went with family) but just catching something makes the whole trip worth while for me cats or any other fish.

12. marco88

marco88 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I only fish the spillway when the water is running. I usually head out and try to get the spot closest to the running water. I drop a couple of poles down bait or not just to hold my spot. It seems like everyone tries to get that spot. Then I'll try for some shad or perch. I usually bait at least two poles with live bait for flatheads then set them about 10 or 15 feet apart. If they are baited with shad you will catch all sorts of fish, bass, white bass, catfish and, you will probably stay pretty busy. If I have to use perch or goldfish then I have plenty of time to kill and I rig up a smaller rod with two jigs and about a 1 oz weight and cast into the opposite corner right across the running water. Just run them through at med speed. I've caugt large carp, a flathead and many white bass with the jigs. In the spring and summer you can see the fish chasing shad right up to running water. If the jigs arent working I use some dk puchbait and go out the bend in the walkway and cast downstream. I mostly catch small channels on the dk but it keeps me satified even if I don't get any hits on my big baits. I started fishing that spot when it was still gated off so I used a red wagon to haul all my stuff out there. They have since opened the gates and now you don't have to haul your gear as far but it is much more crowded now.

13. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

how would/should the fishing be around here now, or comming up in a couple weeks, thought about taking advantage of my short work days comming up and spending from about mid-day til 6 or so at the spillway if the fishing wouldnt be to bad or weather.
    i thought the 1st spot closest to the bridge would have been a good spot with the downed tree right there to hold in some smaller fish, maybe i could bait it with some range cubes a few times and take different baits then the usual shrimp & catfish dynamite for the cats, and a bunch of softbaits for crappie & bass. get a box of worms take them with me, thaw out that old tub of livers in the freezer, maybe some minnows or goldfish, would hope the goldfish lived long enough to bring home if i didnt use them all to feed my pet catfish. i would hope that if i baited it i could catch something. i prolly would release everything i caught so im not picky on size/type i catch, maybe take a camera with me to take some pics. i fish for the fun, and hopefully can have some soon.

14. marco88

marco88 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have not checked out the water there recently but I will probably try to go out there in about a week or two. I havent been in a while so I will probably try a little bit of everything too. I have been wanting to try range cubes too since other members have been talking about them. For goldfish and minnows, I bought one of those little battery powered aerators from walmart and it keeps them lively. I just turn it on for a little while every hour or so and a couple of minutes before I rebait my lines. The lucky ones usually make it back to my aquarium at home. I had some goldfish that were getting pretty big but I have a large pacu and he has been eating them lately.

15. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

hopefully the weather will work in our favor giving us a good rain, adding much needed water the the lakes & rivers around here. i would like to try fishing the brazos or another river sometime, but i have no clue on where to go on the river to fish, i know the river is down for dam repairs, but when it gets "fixed" for another year. when i can afford another boat motor and get tags on the boat will prolly hit up the lakes around here more and hopefully have some success. once i get a motor i would like to try fishing up at whitney, and try on lake waco, maybe tp&l to try fishing for the reds. i think our familys boat is made more for rivers then open lakes, but has been used for lakes many times in the past, its a 14-16' v-hull(bottom) something like that. used to go bass fishing(or whatever wanted our bait) on lake aquilla, didnt like that lake much when we would go, with all the submerged trees and midlake sunken pond/tanks that u can run aground on.

16. andi1950

andi1950 New Member

State:
    Belton, Texas
    I live down at Lake Belton and the fishing is beginning to pick up, here. There ar a few places to bank fish in my area (mouth of the Leon). Down in the lake are some places where you can get to the water, but I don.t go into some of them after dark.

jerry

17. need4fishing

need4fishing New Member

i wouldnt do the after dark fishing in most places anyway, unless i have a place to get to real fast, those snakes seem to like keeping me from night fishing. have to get me a pellet gun to take with me, because i dont think it would be good to take my pistol to shoot snakes with, people might not like it and dont want cops comming for something stupid like that. dont want people thinking im trying to kill someone. only time i might take pistol would be if fishing and staying overnight at a lake, and thats just for personal protection from those stupid people who like to steal stuff.
    i may go try some fishing over the weekend if weather looks good, maybe warms up a little bit, will try some other baits when i go, try some lures too maybe catch some crappie, and maybe use them for kitties.