Local Catfishing? LA/OC/IE

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by jkim546, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jkim546

jkim546 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hi,

I'm new to this site, and new to catfishing as well. I was wondering if there are any good places to hunt for cats locally. I live in between LA and Orange County.

I have made it out to SARL, Irvine Lake, Elsinore, Puddingstone, even Hesperia, but i was wondering if you guys know of anywhere else i can find some quality fish.

ill appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Although you have been there Irvine isent bad.You can fish at night from a boat.A little pricey but if you can afford it,its close.I did well there last season flylining fresh mackeral from the ocean ,not frozen stuff.6-10lb test spinning gear with mack strips.Good luck

3. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    First of all, welcome to the Brotherhood Of Catfisherman! I also live in your area and I have to agree that locally your best bets for big quality fish would be Irvine, SARL, Corona, or Hesperia. Unfortunately they are all pay lakes but it is the price that we pay for living in southern California. For quality natural catfishing I've had my best luck at the Colorado river, Havasu all the way down past Blythe in Palo Verde are good places for quality catfish. Best of luck to you and again welcome to the best catfishing website around.
    Brandon

4. jkim546

jkim546 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Thanks for the input guys, and im excited to have people to share my enjoyment in catfishing with.

I have been meaning to get out to the colorado river to try my luck there but gas prices have kept me local.

I heard Big Bear is producing some quality cats in the 10+lb range. anyone ever fish out there for cats?

5. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I never have fished Big Bear for catfish although I have seen some pictures of some really good sized cats taken out of there. I'm sure if you fished the right spot you would do quite welll there.