Local bait and tackle shop KCMO

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Terry Day, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I'm looking for a local bait and tackle shop. Any of the brothers on the west side around KC have a preference? I use Rogers Lures, Liberty & have recently been into Minnesota Bait and Tackle, KCKS. Any other ideas?

Thanks

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I go to Rogers in Liberty when I'm over there. That place has a lot of stuff. Try to visit Cabelas when ever I go to the dog track, there mule deer show room is cool, lots of monster bucks in there..

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Rogers is #1 in my book!!

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Spoonfish and Cook

I only live about 5 miles from Cabelas, been there numerous times. Its a lot closer than Rogers, I like it, but they don't carry any type of live bait and are limited on other baits.

This year I need to stock up the freezer with shad and jacks for emergency use when I can't get live bait.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I usually stop in at Burton's when I'm going through Smithville. He's usually got decent live bait and has crawdads in the spring. Pretty nice guy. Not real close to you, but if you're in the S'ville area, it's worth a stop.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Roger's lures is alright, BUT there also mutter mutter "not very friendly" thats being nice. Lot of there prices are over priced. Well I guess my beef is with ol handle bars and the owner. Although his girls are very cute and helpful!! I still shope there I just don't ask for any help from them. Last time I was there some kid that worked there was smooching on his girl while he was spooling a reel up for somebody. Other then that Cabelas is starting to have a better selection of catfishing hooks.

7. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Stolib,

Smithville is only about a 30 minute drive from my house. Need to go to Smithville Marine and check on something for my boat, so I can kill two bird with one stone.

Thanks for the info.

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Crazy,

I have found out the hard way that Rogers is not really customer oriented. Waited like forever (on several ocassions) for them to get around to helping me. I have bought a ton of stuff from them and have never found them to be overly friendly. You are right about the cute counter girls though! Cabelas is only about 6 miles from my house, much closer than Rogers. I don't think that I have been to Rogers since Cabelas has openned. May never go back!

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Terry, You got that right Rogers is not that customer friendly. I do go to Rogers for there hook selections and thats about it.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Rogers does have an amazing collection of rods, but I've only made it over there a couple of times. Burtons is a good place, friendly and helpful, but a long ways from the south side of KC. I end up mostly at Minnesota Bait or Cabelas. I have also had great experience with Catfish Connection - not a local shop of course, but they are hard to beat on overall price and selection, not to mention good friendly service.

11. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    Rogers is close to me but then again the whole customer service issue arrises. I would rather pay a few pennies more and have a decent person to deal with than get it at a better price and deal with a pr**k.

12. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks Gary and Andi,

Looks like everyone is of the same opinion about Rogers. Burtons is just as close to me as Rogers, may give them a try next time I'm over that way. I have had a lot of luck at Minnesota Bait, and Cabelas is only 6 miles away, so I think Rogers lost another customer!

Thanks to all who responded to this post! Great / helpful information.

13. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    The best thing about Burtons is there input as to where the fish are biting. You can name the type of fish, the area you are fishing, and they can tell you if they are biting or not and if so on what. They are a pretty good bunch of people. Just wish I had his boat. There's something about 225hp that would make the MO seem a little more suttle than it really is, but I'm sure the fiberglass repairs would drain the bank.

14. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Put that 225 on my 20' Polar Craft and I might as well be riding in the Space Shuttle! My 90 is fast enough for me. Especially when dodging the flying carp!

Its Nice to hear that Burtons will share fishing information.

Thanks

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Strange,I've never had a problem about Rogers.

Never had a problem at Burtons,either.

One winter about 7 years ago,they had to do some work on smithville dam.They lowered the water about 7 feet below normal.I would walk around the edges for something to do to fight the winter blues.
    I must have found several hundred crankbaits/lures wedged into rocks or broken off in snags.
    I traded 50 of the best to burtons wife for 50$ in merchandise.Good deal for them and good for me.

16. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    That's why they have lures that look like ones I used to own. Wish they would drain the spillway. I could finally get back my two lucky lures back ( they would catch fish and rocks).