Lobster An Oversized Crawfish For Flathead Catfish!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Oct 25, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Might be an expensive bait, but I think it would be a great bait! Flatheads love crawfish, but to target them using them lil fellas is difficult! Live lobsters im gonna try next season on the Ohio River!!!! :wink: rollo

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :smile2:

Man, it must be a scary place inside your head sometimes!

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    You're right kinda expensive but I'd love to see the size of the monster that gets caught on one, better yet I'd love to see the look on the Flats face when he sees it walking across the bottom lol :smile2:

4. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Lobsters come from salt water .

5. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I CAN SEE THE LOOK ON THE WIFES FACE WHEN I TELL HER I'M GOING TO TURN A LIVE LOBSTIR LOOSE FOR SOME OLD CATFISH TO EAT. YEA RIGHT,:crazy:

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    those Louisiana craw fish get allot bigger and are easier to obtain! than the ones around here! you mite try some bait houses down there! i bet somebody could ship them!

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You all make fun!:smile2: Im gonna try it, and if it works will have the pic.s to show ya!:smile2::wink: rollo

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    All I can say is good luck , I hate wasting a crawdad , much less a big ole fat, smothered in butter lobster.Steve is right even in ky it is not uncommon to get some 6 inch crawfish.Here is a pic of a shrimp from Louisiana , I hear they also have to hunt their bullfrogs with a .308:crazy:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  9. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This is great! I hope you're not joking...seriously, I hope you actually use lobster and catch big flatheads on them. And whatever you do, be sure to document it and put it up on You Tube.:wink:

10. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'd be really careful about that...in fact if you're talking about shipping live crawfish...its probably illegal. There's a huge problem around here with non native crawfish being introduced to lakes and rivers. There's one that called the rusty crawfish, and it has turned into an invasive species and done a whole lotta damage to lakes in MN and WI. They basically remove all of the vegetation from the lake and then become over populated...:crazy:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Can someone tell me this aint a far fetched idea? Why wouldnt it work? I guareentee a big flathead wouldn't be intimidated! I'm gonna try it even though my fishing buds said they will throw me out of my own boat!:smile2: rollo

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A big ole' lobster sounds great right about now. :eek:oooh:

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    why not try filet mignon while your at it:smile2:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    keep it coming guys:smile2::smile2::smile2: well see, well see.... :wink: rollo

15. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I hope you catch a new world record and if you do I will be the first one in line at the lobster tank buying bait.:big_smile:

16. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    A little expensive for bait couldn't you get some good sized crawdads shipped to you?

17. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    According to one study I read, crawdads are the #1 forage of juvenile flatheads. So maybe a flathead would see a lobster and have child hood flashbacks.:roll_eyes:

That being said though, I think the kind of lobsters you can buy at the market are salt water species and they would probably live about 30 seconds in Ohio waters. A dead lobster would be killer turtle bait I bet....

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only reason this has crossed my mind is because years ago, I used to bring my big flatheads home with me, put them in the bait tank to get pictures the next morning in daylight with the old polar camera. I would go to get them to see handfulls of crawdads laying in the bottom of the bait tank that they puked up from being stressed out. So, that told me that they move very shallow at night and were eating a healthy supply of crawfish. A lobster probably won't live long in our waters, but I gotta try to see and learn the "what if" thing. Who knows? As funny as it is, it may not be far fetched! Or maybe im nuts!:big_smile::roll_eyes: rollo

19. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I do know alot of trophy channel cats have been taken off of crawdads for sure.That is another reason why the fishing is so good when the rivers and lakes flood in the spring.

20. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A better question is, what size and what kind of hook will you use? :smile2:
    Triple hook rig with 11/0 Trophy Kats? :eek:oooh: