Loading the rod

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jul 11, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was wondering about whay u should let the rod load ,,does it make a big differance, i miss alot of runs but i set the hook when the rod first starts to bend is this a bad thing to do , but i also use my cliker

2. Nanny_cat

Nanny_cat New Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Willie, I don't know what kind of hooks you are using, but with a circle hook or a Kahle hook you will jerk the bait out of the fish's mouth a lot of times if you set the hook. If you just let the rod load up the fish will hook itself and just reel it in. I hope this helps.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im using straight hooks and kaels

4. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    couldnt have said it any better

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    R u talking about flyfishing or otherwise? that will help with an explanation.

6. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    What do you mean by load up? I know dumb question...

7. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    First set the drag light enough that you can pull some line off with some effort. Then set it in the rod holder with the clicker on and the spool engaged. The fish can take line out but it will put a 2 or 3 ft deflection in the tip of a medium heavy rod like the catfish ugly stick. That deflection is the loading that they are talking about. The biggest fish that I have caught, I didn't know he was on. Line had been out about 15 min and I was going to reel it in and check the bait. I felt a couple of very light bumps like the weight was hitting some brush but when he saw the boat he turned around and went the other way. The rod loaded up with the tip nearly in the water.

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    dont have any idea what yall are talking about...when a fish starts nibblin i pick up the rod and wait for him to take it then BAM i set the hook

9. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    If using circle style hooks, let the rod tip bend and stay bent, then pick up the rod, without jerking to set the hook and start reeling. If you keep picking the rod up after just short "bounces" of the rod tip, then you're not giving the fish time to take the bait. If all you get is "pecks" then its prolly little guys messin with your bait. If I'm using any other style hook, I set the clicker on the reel and leave it in free spool til I hear it start clicking, then pick rod up, engage spool and JERK. "Load Up" is a term used for when the rod tip bends and stays bent. Means the fish is on the line and running with your bait.

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am going to go with livewire opinion. He has it right in my book.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the only way your rod can load up or start to bend over towards the water is for the fish to be going away from you.this is the way a circle hook works best.thats why you here the remarks about loading up.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Personally I know I will probably get stoned for this but FORGET the clicker.WHy let the fish "take" line out.I have caught a lot of catfish both drifting and anchored and I use spinning equipment.I set my drags so a big fish can strip line with a big surge but for the most part they are locked down.Then I set the anti reverse so the fish cant spin the reel.Blues will generally set themselves as they dont mess around ,they take the bait and go.What makes Circles and Kahles work is that the bait is pulled to the side of the fishes mouth and the only thing that will pull it there is pressure.If the cat grabs your bait and clamps down on it and can swim away without resistance the the bait is NOT going to be pulled to the corner of its mouth.Lock the reel and let the fish load up.By the time you get to the rod and get it out of the holder you wont have to set the hook the fish will have done it for you.Try no clicker and see if your hook up rate goes up.I know the clickers sound cool but imagine you have 8-10 rods out and are trying to figure which one has the bite.As long as the fish can pull that line out the bait isnt going to move in his mouth.Years ago one of the pro bass fishermen used to do a demo in which he would grasp the hook in a closed fist while someone tried to set the hook with 50-60 ft of line out.No one ever could because he gripped the hook tight and it couldn't MOVE in his hand.Dont try this at home.:big_smile::smile2::roll_eyes: but it perfectly illustrates how circles and Kahles work.:big_smile:

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks Jim.We seldom think think about the fact that a fish on the bottom in open water is like a bird on the ground.It can swim in so many directions,including up. Once it is up,it can swim in any and every direction.We know it,but it is so obvious we seldom think about it.Over half of a fishes options on a cast out line sitting in a rod holder will not pull out line and set the clicker off.Circle hooks were developed for the use of Commercial Fishermen for use on Long lines.It has been mandatory for some years now.I have a few in the 20/0 sizes that my son brought me from his Long lining out of Clark's Harbor Nova Scotia.As I often drop a rod when I think I am holding it,rod holders are great and tyeing off a rig is now mandatory.I pretty much used clickers on a rod rigged and sitting there waiting for large fish to bite while I caught "frying or eating size" fish on smaller rigs with a lot more action going on.This was mainly done with kids and friends along that have a thing about catching a big fish.We thought of the big fish as our "Brood Stock" and quickly released them when caught.Rural fishermen were people who thought like farmers do with saving your biggest and best for seed and brood stock."Trophy Fishermen"as they called themselves would drive around with their trophy in the back of a pick up truck,showing it off as it swelled and got larger every day.The trophies ended up in a dump.Their reasoning was"There are plenty more where that one came from".Over 999 out of every 1000 Catfish and all other freshwater fish that I have ever known to be caught were 2 1/2 lbs.and under.This thread shows that we all are different in our ways and manner in doing things.Some of us feel the need to spend our lives learning.Some seem to be born with all of the knowledge that they want and see no need to.The different style and size hooks fit different peoples ,wants,likes and styles of fishing.As for correctness,we seem to decide that for our selves,no matter how many fish that guy over there is catching to every one we catch.I do enjoy and learn much whether I agree or disagree.It does take a lot of thinking for me now.Thanks all.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think it would have only been a "dumb question"if you had not asked it.Did you get a answer that you understood?If not,say so.If you still do not understand,we have failed you.You have not failed us.We often assume that others understand what we say,when they often do not.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Do you know now? Helping each other understand is what the BOC is about.Continuing or changing our style of fishing is strictly up to us.I enjoy your contributions in thoughts and ideas.I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The reason u let the rod load up, is that u can give the fish a change take the bait.