LMS-339C DF iGPS

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Whistler, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Got a new depth finder this weekend. Used it a little on Saturday and I'm thoroughly impressed with the GPS side of it. The color sonar is gonna take some getting used to though. I'm gonna have to remount the transducer about an inch lower as it's coming out of the water as speed increased past 15 MPH. One thing I'll say for it. The speed display for the GPS matches almost exactly my speedometer that's on the dash. I'll post more info about this unit as I get aquainted more with it.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Best kind of fathers day gift. The one ya get yourself! LOL!

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Way to go Whistler! The wife got me one just like it for Fathers Day With a navtronics Lake map card for the North . I will mount it tonight, I have been reading the Manual so far and i don't Know if Im smart enough to opperate it though. Sent my eagle Optima off to J.W. as the one he had would only show Fish simbles. He should get it today. If I get to goofed up Ill P.M. you and Ask some questions. Bigcatman0816.:smile2:

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Actually my friend your speedometer there on the dash almost matches the gps!!!!:big_smile: :lol: Color does take a little getting use to simply because you now have many more layers of nuance or definition.I believe that model allows you to choose your color scheme.There is a newer model out that was just released that has some interesting features not normally found.It has dual mounting brackets so you can mount it in your car or truck as well as the boat.The GPS has 1000 programable ********.The alarm has a "You just passed a *******, which was your best chance to ever catch a fish" warning and a big illuminated finger comes on the screen which says "TURN HERE FOR *******".When you turn the fishfinder screen on a laughing clown face appears and says "YOU CAN"T BE SERIOUS,YOU WOULDN"T KNOW WHAT TO DO IF I SHOWED YOU A FISH" this is followed by a HAZARD warning symbol that flashes with the words "WILD FISH, UNCATCHABLE " and the next screen refers you back to the programable ******** button.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: :eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: Seems this model was developed specifically by LOWRANCE for a famous Ohio fisherman!!!!! Due to the high cost ,this model will be a limited edition.:roll_eyes:

5. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Been using the new unit some now. GPS is a dream for us. So far it's performed flawlessly. You can set up routes on your PC, then download them to the unit before you ever get on water. Accurate enough that it shows the river banks to within a couple of feet both on the chart and in reality. The sonar is unbelievable to me. Shows bottom structure much better and much more detailed than my old X-71 did. And the colors are fantastic, though I still have a lot to learn about them and their use. And you can record everything you see on the sonar onto a SD card. According to the Lowrance site, 5.4 megs is about 28 minutes of sonar data. So a 1gig card will hold tons of data. Then you can view it on your PC with some free software that Lowrance offers on their website. Can capture screens and print them out as well. Some of this I still have to try, but been reading the manual and now I'm gonna try some of this. I'll record this weekend's sonar log and try to post some screen caps of structure on the Cumberland. This will be a fantastic tool for sharing fishing spots and places to catch bait. Very nice unit indeed.

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Whistler,
    Your going to love that unit, I really like my new one also, took Lynn and I 160 hours of overtime but we have it, to save gas and time download the emulator for your unit then you can also learn all the features about your unit, I found out on mine you hit the exit button 4 times real quick and up pops a nice analog speedmeter on the screen, mine is huge at 10 and 1/2 inches but it was something I learned on the PC.............Doc

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bryan when you record the sonar data on the SD card you can use all the features when replaying on the PC like zoom etc.Thats what really makes those recording units so good because you can record then go home and study on a big screen,all the detail available to you.Great way to learn to read the sonar and learn what your favorite structure really looks like.In my opinion there are other finders out there then there is Lowrance.:lol: :smile2:

8. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    looking forward to see some pictures on the new depthfinder from doc and whistler.

9. Whistler

State:
    TN
    John, meet us at Lock B about 6 and you can see more than the pics. I'll show you what it looks like and how it functions as best I can so far. Really a nice unit.

10. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Jim, I'm just beginning to try that stuff. I'm gonna record tonights trip and see what we can do with it. Sure is amazing what they've come up with for these things these days. Also amazing how much they cost too!! :waaaht:

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Yeah all it costs is money.You dont have to have all the whiz bangs turned on when you record ie zoom to be able to use it on the computer.Thats whats great you can sit there and look at it over and over and try and interpret what you see.It is probably the most overlooked feature of those units and hardly anyone uses it.Good luck:smile2:

12. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    i will be there and looking forward to it.

13. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Whistler, congrats on your new toy, and hey, get all them good spots marked so you can put us on some fish on the 15th!LOL! That is a nice unit, I tried the emulator on their website that Doctor was speaking of and it's pretty sweet. My cousin got himself a new boat this winter and when he was rigging it, this was the unit that I recommended to him, although he decided to go with a different one. Good luck with it tonight and be careful.

14. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Bryan, If you fish anything other than Rivers, you can get some really cool software for that baby. I bought the 334 with the internal antenna and it will keep you entertained when the fish aren't biting for sure.

15. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bryan, how did everything go Friday night with the new 339 sonar/gps?

16. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Works like a champ Brandon. I got a lot to learn though! LOL Gotta figure out how to save the log files from the sonar. Then I'll put some pics up. Very nice unit, that's for sure. Bob and I will probably go out Friday and get some fresh skipjacks and hopefully some bluegills for Saturday. So hopefully we'll have some fresh lively bait Saturday night.

17. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Rob, I'm sure finding that out. It's got a boat load of features on the GPS side. The navigation feature is fantastic. Works nearly as good as anything on these helicopters we have here. Very nice unit and I'm glad I chose it.

18. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    10-4, sounds good, I bet the color on that thing looks neat in the dark. I've been wondering about the bait situation. I know you had said earlier that I might want to bring a bait catching rig to use to catch some gills for cat bait. If yall get enough Friday will I still need a rig for that? Also, I got a new Flathead combo together I'd like to bring for me to use if that's ok.

19. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats great to hear. My Dad is in the process of shopping for a new boat, and I'm going to help him rig it when he buys one. Meaning, I'll probably have some say on what is bought, hopefully. I'm gonna push him hard for that unit!

20. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Yep, I'd still bring it. And you can bring anything you want to for fishing. We have a good bit of room on the pontoon boat. I'll make a new post in the other thread tonight.