LKN Poached

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Jman, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Jman

Jman Member

State:
    NC
    This is a scan of an article that recently appeared in the Hickory Daily Record. One of my fishing buddies gave it to me on Sunday at church. I've been trying to find what day it came out. These big fish must stay in schools and once you get into them you can slay them. So now we have two examples just in the last thirty days on two river systems that are less than 30 miles apart. If you ask most people what the opposite of love is they'll answer hate. But hate is not the opposite of love. Indifference is the opposite of love. Indifference is not caring or lacking interest. Whether it’s about your fellow man or a sport that you love not caring, being indifferent, is much more damaging in the long run. No one wants to see any of us get into trouble, but by remaining indifferent to the situation we will only perpetuate and bring further damage to that thing we claim to love. If some articles were published that these people, although they had great catches, were penalized because they broke the rules, then the thing we love has been protected. Others, who may be ignorant of the law or haven’t properly educated themselves before pursuing that thing that we love and care about, may learn the rules thus preserving the sport and its resources. If you truly love this sport, please don’t take these instances lightly. We must make sure that the regulatory agencies are aware of the infractions and pursue them just as some of our members have in the Badin instance. There’s nothing wrong with taking a trophy fish. I take about as much joy in reading about and hearing of other peoples catches as I do my own. It gives me hope that my day will come and those days for my children and grandchildren. Those that hate fishing won’t take that hope away; it will be those who remain indifferent. Lets be diligent about guarding those things we love. Joel

Attached Files:

2. Joe321

Joe321 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    well said!!!! i agree with you totally. i have never herd of it only taking 15min to fight a big cat like that. sounds kind of out there to me.:confused2:

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    What a great post!! :wink:

I think it is time we ask some questions of the NCWRC law enforcement division. Are they actually enforcing any of the laws? Have they actual even issued any warnings for the infractions? Do they not see these images that are published?

If someone took a picture of a ten point buck and submitted it to the newspaper claiming they killed it on January 26th, I will bet you ten dollars to a doughnut that a wildlife officer would be on it like stink on a ten day old dead catfish.

We will get some answers. As the president of the Carolina Catfish Club I promise you that.

:cool2:

4. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    HAIL TO THE CHIEF!!!!!!!! ALL HAIL!!!!!:smile2::big_smile:

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Absolute , positive , bulls#!t!!
    Just a shame!!

6. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Is there something in the picture I can't see ?

There's nothing in the line copy that indicates them keeping all those fish.

Exactly what law did they break? :confused2:

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

ooooo heck wylie its just a dang catfish who cares ????

not like they killed a few 5 lb bass

geeeeezzz whats the problem :crazy::tounge_out:

lmao :smile2:

sorry couldnt resist

8. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    My mistake , I assumed they kept them due to the backdrop.
    Strange , because in my line of work , one must never assume anything.
    In retrospect , it's possible they could have been facing the water in the photo.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Is there something in the picture I can't see ?....Exactly what law did they break?..."

Ya, it is kinda hard to see in the picture, but there are more fish on the ground.

The first "clue" that he kept them was what appears to be a massive rope through their jaw. The other "clue" is that the picture was taken at their house, or somewhere other than on the water. I'm no CSI detective, but if you have three fish over 32", two fisherman, and you are standing on dry land, well...you are in violation of the possesion law for blue catfish on Lake Norman.

Ty Mathis did the same thing last year when the law had just come out. He was posing in a picture, in the newspaper, holding two blue catfish obviously over 32". What makes it really bad is that Ty Mathis is a guide on Lake Norman and should know the laws. I am sure her learned his lesson.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  10. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks!

I understand the new laws. I just can't make out much of anything in the photo except one big fish, and maybe a smaller one on the ground.

Perhaps I need higher resolution.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Like I told you a long time ago. You were thrown a bone to shut you up. You didn't believe me then because you thought it was your prowess that had really accomplished something.
    Maybe you believe me now?

I got my information from somebody in the know. Very in the know.
    I had no reason to lie to you then or now.

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Mark J has spoken!:eek:oooh:

13. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc

LMAO !

14. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree with that.

15. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin

Ty doesn't know his A** from a hole in the ground. Grew up fishing with him and my dad. He would say " Well the eye in the sky is up boys, time to go because the fish don't bite after the suns up...":confused2:

The fact that he is still guiding is absolutely amazing....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  16. Jman

Jman Member

State:
    NC
    This is an excellent point. I made an assumption based on type and photo. Maybe they kept the big one and released the others. I don't think we will ever know at this point. But our awareness will help preserve the resource. Thanks for pointing out my assumptions. I don't know what law if any was broke. Joel

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    BEFORE posting and making all these assumptions for which you are apologizing why didnt someone just call mister Beard.Jeff Beard of Catawba cant be to hard to track down.There is such a thing as libel even in a public forum.I would be curious as to what Mr Beard did with the fish,other than break the law of course.As for being "thrown a bone" that might be true BUT it highlights the fact that even DNRs etc succumb to the power of the raised voice.If they felt compelled to throw the bone there then we need to raise our voices again to insist on enforcement.A copy of that article sent to the Dir would start the ball rolling.Its one thing to say something on here but if you want results the fight is long from over to get gamefish status for catfish.Somebody computer literate post the article as part of a petition on here we can sign and then we send it to the chief of the enforcement div and ask why he is hiring blind wardens.Maybe we will get another" bone" thrown our way.RELISH THE FIGHT:smile2:

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...You didn't believe me then ..."

...and honestly, we don't believe you now MarkJ.

You jabber your jaws about so many things you know nothing about that I guess the odds are in your favor that sooner or later you will get something right.

:roll_eyes:

To bring YOU up to speed, MarkJ, nothing has happened so far that they did not tell us about. Perhaps had you been a part of making the fisheries better for all of us then YOU would know that.

:wink:

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's like having an anonymous source in a sports article. I'm calling BS and if it's not then state their name. Surely if this new law is such a big joke and everybody within the state agencies thinks it is then they won't mind being named. We'll anxiously await your answer. Until then this will just be another Mark J "I'm smarter than you...better sportsman than you...know more than you" rant. I know I and a lot of other people get tired of hearing about how awesome and important YOU think YOU are:roll_eyes:

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You see Wylie, I have been a part. For many years.Saltwater fishing license. I was a part in that too.
    You get to know folks on a personal level. You fish with them and you club with them. You even cookout together.

A few folks up there in Raleigh I converse with on a right regular basis.
    I know what I've been told about the new "laws" and I know what I've been told about CCC.
    I'll say this, you haven't made any friends and you don't want to have bunches of people calling an office and using your club name. You would be much better off delegating duties to one or 2 people in that respect.
    A couple of good people. Smart folks. Otherwise nobody but nobody wants to have anything to do with anything that has CCC attached to it.
    I called up there one time and was discussing a regualtion and catfish was brought into the conversation and the next thing I was asked was, "Mark, you aren't part of that CCC stuff are you?" Nope. Not my style and you know it. He did know it too but he wanted to go there.

You got a bone. The exact words I was told. I was on the phone for an hour the day I was told that. I got an ear full.

But just because you have a law or a regulation on the books doesn't mean it will get top priority in enforcement or even enforced at all. Bones are often forgotten and bones can be dug up and discarded.

I would seriously alter my approach and I wouldn't be doing much demanding because instead of going forward you'll be taking 10 steps back.
    You'll eventually figure it out. You are smart. These people dont like to be abused and hounded no more then you do.

We did it back in the 80's before the internet and free unlimited long distance calling. We did it through the 90's without the internet. Truth be told it helped us a whole lot. You didn't have every redneck yahoo with a keyboard and an ISP mucking up what you were trying to do ON YOUR BEHALF.

No need to shoot the messenger. I've said all I'm going to.
    Like I said, you are smart enough to figure it out. Just leave the allusions of grandeur in the name of CCC under the pillow at home. Mistake number one.