LKN January 29, 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I left my dock this AM (7:30) in the fog and worked my way down to Gov. Island and checked that area out and could find any bait or arches. Checked the area to the East of Marker 7 and drew a blank. Went to the back of the big island at Marker 11 and found plenty of bait and a few arches. I put out four down lines and two free lines which were weighed. The striper's would not hit my bait, but some blues did. Finally got out my 3/4 oz. jigging spoon and starting catching striper's. Back home at 10:45 AM.
    Photo of striper's and jigging spoon is attached.

2. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Mac, I have read a couple of articles about jigging spoons, mostly in the winter, and the technique seems to be jigging around balls of bait, either below or above. Can you give us a little insight on your technique. I have never done this before, and want to try it out this weekend when I get out. Also, do you favor one style/brand of spoon over another and why? Thanks.

3. lunatics

lunatics New Member

State:
    NC
  4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Style is not real important to me, but color and weigh is. I like a chartruse color in the winter time and white in the spring thru fall. I use 3/4 oz. in the winter and the rest of the year 1/4 to 1/2 oz. Jigging spoons can be used the year round. You can fish them below the pod of bait, above the pod or to the side of the pod. All of this depends on where the arches are for stripers. Now if you have some flatheads around a pod of white perch, then your best bet is to jig below the pod. You only need to raise the rod tip up enough to give the jig a 2 to 3 foot drop. Do not do it in a quick motion, more like slow mo. The fish will strike the jig on the way down most of the time.