LKN January 10, 2009 - Striper Fishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hot spots for striper's this week has been Rocky Creek, Davidson Creek and Cornelius Creek in the vicinity of the water intake. Scattered fish can be found in most of the creeks. Some nice blues are in close proximity to the striper's and are hitting live baits.

2. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac
    Do you think when we get these cold fronts push through after a rain it effects the fishing? I have fished a couple of times after a bitterly cold day and the fishing was poor. But when if I give a couple of days to warm up the fishing seems better. When I say warm up I mean it is getting to what the seasonal highs should be ( ie high 40s low 50s).

The stripers seem deeper when we get a couple of nice days..... I guess I am trying to create some logic out of the weather.

Still lots of boats and birds at the cabin on the main channel in front of the state park.

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks for the info Mac. It's a shame we dont live closer to Lake Norman. I think we could fish successfully on the weekends just by using the information you gather during the week.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If LakeNormanBlues says they are on the south end of the lake I would head north.

There is a tournament there next weekend and ol' Mac is probably working to send people in the wrong direction!!! :smile2:

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    WylieCat, you need to quit telling everything you know!

Today I am heading to where you caught the 5.94 pound striper in Jan. 08 and won us some coins.

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Jeff, catfish are affected by sudden drops in surface temp's and water temps by 1/2 degree. We at the CCC have been told this by several authorities on catfish.

Now the striper on the other hand does not seem to be affected by cold fronts or warm fronts. They go where the bait is. If the bait is deep, they will be deep, if the bait is somewhere else in the water column, then thats where the striper's will be. But and there is always a but in fishing. Some days when everything is perfect, you cannot buy a bite.