LKN Ice Fishing Report January 10, 2K10

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Oh what a lovely day to be fishing for blues. I left my dock at 11:30 AM and headed for Mtn. Creek. The area I wanted to fish was completely iced over, so I fished the body of water next to this cove and it had ice on both sides extended into the creek by approx. 150' on each side, leaving me about 250' width to fish. I could hear the striper's or bass attacking the weak thread fins under the iced areas. Sounded like a bunch of Beavers flapping their tails in the water.

I had four bites, not strong, but bites and I only connected with one 15 pound blue. Bait of choice was not good, I had some left over gizzard shad and skip jacks that had been in the frig. for four days.

Second photo is of the cove that I wanted to fish and it was iced over. Third one will be one of the sides of the creek that I fished in and the first one with be the blue cat. Sorry, photo's did not come out the way I downloaded them.

External temp. was 26 degrees, water surface temp. was 37.4 degrees when I started and 39.1 when I finished. Back home at my dock at 3:30 PM.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Mac thought you weren,t going fishing today ?:Happy::Shocked:

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I said I was not going to fish in the striper tournament today.

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I saw some of the ice when I was going up 77 to Gander MT. today.

Hope that new heater kept you warm......

5. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for the ice fishing report

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mac, with the extremely low water temperatures, is there a visible shad kill occuring on Lake Norman?

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Dieter, plenty of gulls picking up scattered bait, but I have not seen any shad floating. But that does not mean anything, because it would be the 1.5 to 2 inch ones being affected and my poor old eyes might not be seeing them.

8. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac
    Is there standing ice in the 150 Bridge area? I am curious if ice can form in the areas that have warm water coming out of a power plant. I was hoping to get out this coming weekend (the current weather report is not good) so I was planning to fish in the 15-18 mile marker area to stay close to the warmer water.

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Is there standing ice in the 150 Bridge area?...."

Like Mac said, the backs of creeks where the water is stained or muddy are the first areas to freeze. The cleared water allows for more light penetration and it seems to stay slightly warmer than the muddy/stained water.

I found a line of ice yesterday in the back of Catawba Creek on Lake Wylie that extended about a 1/2 mile down the creek. That is the first time I have ever seen that. It was not thick, about 1/8", but I if we had gotten any cloudy weather and precipitation during this cold snap I am sure it would have thickened up cosiderably.