Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't have to fish blind (no sonar), found out that a little bit of rust on the battery connection caused my problem yesterday, got it fixed.

I was more or less set up to fish a little after high noon and it didn't take long for a channel cat to find the chicken. Little did I know that on this outing it would be a channel catfish day. Fished all types of depths, but the best bite was in less than 20 feet of water and the surface water temp was in the range of 38 to 42 degrees.
When it was time to quit, the score card showed nine channels and only one blue catfish. Pulled the baits/rigs in at 3:30 and the last hour or so I didn't even get a bite. bit dats fishing. Below you will find just two videos, one of a channel and the solo blue, others are available upon request.

·
Registered
Larry from North Carolina
70 Posts
I have noticed that my past few outings on Norman. I have been catching a lot more channels no matter what bait I use. But most of them have been really nice sized channels. I have been curious as to why that is. I am not complaining but my ratio of catching blues to channels usually favors more blues. I am gonna try and get out there tomorrow around 10 and see if I can get back on some fish. Thanks for the videos Mac.

·
Super Moderator
25,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larry, there was a time on Norman when you seldom caught a channel catfish when the surface water temp was in 38-to-45-degree range. But for some reason this started changing about three years ago.

A little history for you. Prior to blue catfish being stocked (5,400) in the mid 90's all we caught were channels catfish and every now and then a flathead. Plus, every now and then you would catch a white catfish, usually around 7 to 9 pounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts