Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
25,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fishing partner Jackie and myself left my dock around 7:30 AM on 5-05-2010 and headed for the area between Marker 7 and 8 on the SE side. We were suppose to have 1 to 4 mph winds, which we did until 8:30, then it picked up to 8 to 10 mph. Bait of choice was white perch fillets. As usual I was power drifting around 1/2 mph with two side planner boards baited with gold fish. The four rigs out of the back were baited with white perch heads, fillet's and the carcass from one of the white perch. Ater setting up, I had a nice deep point to cross and on the other side of the point I got a 4 or 5 pound flathead off the carcass and a six pound blue off of one of the perch heads. Ended up with one flathead, three channel cats and five blues. Photo of fish are attached. Back home a little after 10:30 AM.

Today (5-07-2010) my friend and Friday fishing partner, Cliff, picked me up at my dock at 6:45 AM. The day did not start off well at all. I had left two frozen Skip Jacks in my boat live well to thaw out over night. Well, Mr. Raccoon smelled them, open the lid to the live well and ate both Skip Jacks on the boat floor which is carpeted. Now I have a royal mess to clean up. So, I went back to the frig. and got out seven bream/gills that were in a zip lock bag for bait, plus Cliff had some live Gizzard Shad and some lively white perch. We headed for a long cove to the North of Davidson Creek Marker Seven. We decided to use up the bream and gills first and it is a good thing we did. The cats had a hankering for this bait and I ended up with seven blues and two flatheads and Cliff had three blues (7 and 10 pounds). The last hour we got side tracked by several large schools of small white perch. The best color for these were blue and white jigging spoons. You could catch them on the chartreuse color, but could not get the numbers that the blue/white ones would produce. Back at my dock around 11:15 AM.

· Super Moderator
25,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the past have you had much luck with goldfish? I have heard of people using them but have never actually received any first hand info.
I am a tad early with the gold fish. But as soon as the carp spawn and their offsprings hatch, which should be in late May or early June, they will be excellent bait, but I do manage to get a nice blue every now and then with them. You can use them at nights right now and do good with the Flatheads. The hotter the water, the better they become.

· Registered
28 Posts
I am a tad early with the gold fish. But as soon as the carp spawn and their offsprings hatch, which should be in late May or early June, they will be excellent bait, but I do manage to get a nice blue every now and then with them. You can use them at nights right now and do good with the Flatheads. The hotter the water, the better they become.
Now when you say "goldfish" are you talking about the type you buy at the pet store? Or is this just a generic name for a different type of baitfish that you catch? I have also heard lots of people using "goldfish" but I was never real sure about what they actually where referring to or the best way to go about getting em. Thanks for the report Mac! Great as usual.

· Super Moderator
25,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now when you say "goldfish" are you talking about the type you buy at the pet store? Or is this just a generic name for a different type of baitfish that you catch? I have also heard lots of people using "goldfish" but I was never real sure about what they actually where referring to or the best way to go about getting em. Thanks for the report Mac! Great as usual.
I buy mine from a bait shop and it is the same that you would buy at a pet store, only they are cheaper.

PS, If you will slice the tail a little bit, it will make it bleed for a spell and attract the cats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.