LKN Fishing Report June 16, 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I picked my clients up at 6 AM at Hagers Creek Landing and off we went to the D9 area in Reids Creek. We had overcast skies with occassional showers and wind was out of the East at five to eight MPH. Bait of choice was live white perch, live gills, fillet of perch and gills, perch and gill heads. Water was stained and surface water temp was in the low 80's. End results was six catfish and one trash fish (green in color with a large mouth). Back at the dock at 10:35 AM.

2. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Forgot to mention that the area we were fishing in was loaded with white perch. But today, they would not hit the Sabiki Rigs, nor my jigging spoon. Maybe tomorrow or later in the week they will get active again.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just throw all those trash fish up on the shore Mac!!!:smile2:Need to create more living space for catfish.Guy down at Santee showed me a tiny little white Roadrunners lure he was catching the WP on.Im going to try it myself perhaps as early as the weekend.:big_smile:

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    How about a photo of it and posting same. Also, what does Blakemore call this perch lure. Thanks in advance. Mac

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Its called a Roadrunner.White jig with a tiny little rotating blade on the back.Its 1/16 oz I think.I'll try and do the picture thing when I get home.:big_smile:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The boy needs a pair. Hopefully they will drop. LOL!

7. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac
    I have an umbrella rig with the 1/16 road runners I use in the spring for trolling for crappie. I would regularly pick up WP. Like the sabiki rig catching 2 -4 at a time is common. They make a mess out of the rig (tangle). I also pick up an occasional striper. I also tip it with a minnow and catch perch off the dock at night. I have better luck with yellow than white.

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Jeff, do you use the one with the horse hair or the one with the grub. Aslo, with a 1/16 oz. Roadrunner, what test line do you use to get it down to the strike zone when you are jigging?

9. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    We use crappie jigs and roadrunners regularly (for crappie and white perch). Sufix Elite, 4#, hi-vis yellow. We use 1/32, 1/16 and 1/8 oz heads depending on how active the fish are, and apply rubber bodied grubs of various sizes and colors. We count em down to the depth we want to fish. "One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three"........... 1/32 sink at about two seconds per foot, 1/16 at about one and a half seconds per foot and 1/8 at about a foot per second or a little faster. The only difference I've found in line diameter is the ability to cast light jigs a long distance and the rate at which it sinks. When fishing deep, you'll rarely feel a bite on 4# test. You have to watch the line closely, if it twitches or stops sinking, set the hook. Hi-vis line helps a lot. When we locate a school of white perch, we've found that we can catch em a lot faster by tipping the jighead with a small piece of cut bait (white perch), about 1/4 inch by 1 inch strips. The rubber grub isn't needed when using the cut bait. A jighead with the cut perch is generally all that's needed. Hope this helps somebody!