LKN Fishing Report January 27, 2010

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    My striper buddy, Rawhide, called me a little after 11 this morning and informed me that he was going to striper fish until high noon and he had some Gizzard Shad (9 to 12" long) and if I wanted them to meet him on the water. I met him and then went catting in Beaver Dam Creek, not far from where I live.

The lake is almost at full pond and the creek I was fishing in had muddy water in the rear and dingy water elsewhere. Water surface temp. was 45 to 46 degrees and I had cloud cover earlier and later full sun. I did not catch a fish until the sun came out full time. I baited the side planer boards with live Gizzard Shad and the other four rear lines with cut shad. I had no slammers or rod benders, they were picking up the live shad and playing with it. Finally, after the second go around with the cats doing what they were doing. I start releasing the bail so that I was in a free line mode with my thumb on the spool. I would let them take out 75 feet of line (more or less) and then I would lock the reel down and let the rod bend and then I would bring them in. Size ranged from 6 pound to maybe 9 pounds and the total count was four blues. Back home at 5 PM plus.

PS, I can not upload photo's at this time.

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Dang Mac that sounds like flounder fishing techniques there!

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    It is an old striper trick!