LKN Fishing Report December 8, 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    My game plan for cattin' this fall/winter is to fish the areas that my striper bud's fished the day before. As WylieCat knowns, the catfish do not leave an area when the striper's and bait moves on. They lay on the bottom of the lake and digest their food. I have done that two days in a row with some success. Beats the heck out of going out and scouting for them.

I left my dock at nine AM when the temp. reached 41 degrees. Headed straight for McCrary's Creek where they have been catching striper's. Overcast skies and water surface temp. was 57 degrees, with NE and E winds at 5 to 10 MPH. I put out four regular catfish rigs and two side planer boards. Bait of choice was some nice gizzard shad given to me yesterday. Again, I missed the first cat, due to no fault of my own or the cat's, got him almost to the boat and he unwrapped himself from the fishing line. I traveled a small distance from the cat and circled back and this time I got it, a nice 20 + pound blue and 36" long, which hit the side planer board. I had plenty of bites, but my bait was too large for them suckers. Fouled hooked a small blue and then caught one on a regular rig. Passed over a school of striper's and jigged two up with my jigging spoon. One was 23 inches long (tourney fish) so I let him go and the other one will be used for catfish bait. Back at my dock before 12:30.

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice couple hours on the water especially with the big fish!

3. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac
    What part of Mcclrary Creek have you found the most productive? I like fishing there when it is windy but I have not found much success in the southern fingers of the area.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Right behind the big island at the entrance.

5. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Member

State:
    Matthews,
    Thanks for the advice, Mac!