LKN Fishing Report, December 7, 2017

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Yesterday I was suppose to go out with a fellow I showed how I drift this past week, how I cut my bait, tie a good snell knot and on and on. But an electrical problem in the kitchen required my total attention to she who must be obeyed. I met up with him when he came back to the landing and took some photos for him and he gave me some bait for today.

This morning I fished in the deep water, right in the river where my friend fished yesterday, a half a mile or so from the KVA power line at Hicks Creek. There were scattered Hybrids in the area and Gulls, plus a bunch of white perch. I concentrated on the catfish and white perch, but my jigging spoon caught a few of the racers. I knew down deep that there would be a large flathead among the perch and I wanted to catch a nice um, but in several attempts I failed. First time it pulled the rod down toward the water surface and let go before I could get to the rod, but it had gotten the fish head, next time it bent the rod down again and I have a video of that, but it didn't get the bait and another time I pulled the bait right out of it's mouth. Only bait used was white perch heads and other parts. Ended up with seventeen blues and about three dozen white perch, plus the Hybrids mentioned. Here are several videos of the action.

Wonderful morning !

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Thanks for the report and videos Mr Mac.

gotta_fish, Mac-b and Zigarro like this.

3. captslomo

captslomo Well-Known Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I thought that was your boat heading back in around noon-thirty or so. I was poking around up there an hour or so later, and noticed a bunch of gulls diving upriver, with about a hundred doing the high circle cloud above them. I was reeling in all my lines to go check it out, when a Fish and Game work boat came roaring by and drove right through the diving birds. Just like that, they scattered, and the overhead birds headed off towards the 150 bridge.

Marked a lot of deep bait, but found no biting fish, and headed home a short time later.

gotta_fish, Asartin and Mac-b like this.
  4. captslomo

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac: did you find your cats in the channel suspended with the bait, or on the bottom under it?

gotta_fish and Mac-b like this.
  5. Ten More Minutes

Ten More Minutes Member

State:
    n.c.
  6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    The Flathead bite was several feet off the bottom and the Blue bite was on the bottom.

gotta_fish likes this.
  7. captslomo

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks, Mac! I was surprised at how snaggy the bottom of the river channel is out in the deep water. I hadn't lost a slinky rig in four or five trips, but lost three in an hour of fishing out there, and had tons of other hang ups.

gotta_fish likes this.
  8. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin