LKN Fishing Report December 7, 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Yesterday Rawhide, one of my striper bud's, gave me some rather large (12 to 18") gizzard shad. I stowed them in the frig. until this morning. No rush on my part to go out when it was 27 degrees, so I waited until 9:45 AM to walk down to the dock. Untied the boat and headed for Mtn. Creek. Water surface temp. was 54 degrees, wind was calm to lite and the only bait I had was the gizzard shad. I had four regular cat rigs out and two side planer boards, plus two unbaited Sabiki Rigs for white perch. I went with large fillets and heads. Plenty of bait marking and some red arches. It wasn't long before one of the planer boards scooted across the water, but no hookup. Within minute the next board goes off and I get that one. Then I have a regular rig to bow down and while I'm bringing that one in another regular rig bows down. Much later one of the side planer boards connects and not too much longer a side rig bends mightily, this time it was a flathead. Then I have another corner rigs to bend and take drag, most likely this was a large flathead, but I did not get him in (appears the the owner of the rigs had a nick in his line/shame on him). Ended up with six beautiful blues and two flatheads. Just as I was quitting, I found myself over some nice red arches and I dropped my jigging spoon down to see what would bite. Not to my surprise, it was some nice size white perch. I caught several and called it quits, back home a little after high noon.

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Not bad for a mornings work.... That's how it's done!

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Aaaaahhhh Mac. Living da dream!!

Good report.

:big_smile:

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
  5. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Active Member

State:
    Matthews,
    How late in the year do you consistantly catch flatheads? I hear they are almost dormant when it gets real cold, but I guess the water's not too cold yet?

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    We catch them in the winter striper fishing. Plus when we use to have catfish tournament in Jan thru March, one to three would be weighed in at almost every tourney.

7. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    What does LKN stand for? Lake Norman?

8. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.