LKN Fishing Report December 17, 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    This cold weather is making a gentleman fisherman out of me. I left my dock a little before 10 AM and still had ice on the gang blank at the dock. Had to hold onto the rail to keep from busting my hinny!

I had two reports of striper's being caught in "No Mans Land", which is to the ENE of the big island at Marker No. 9. So, thats where I went scouting and ended up fishing in that general area. Marked striper's at 30 to 40' in 45 to 55' of water. Water surface temperature was 52 to 54 degrees and wind was out of the ENE at 5 to 10 MPH. I did a wind drift today rather than a power drift. Bait of choice was frozen blue backs and several nice size Gizzard Shad. Four drift rigs out the back and two side planer boards were used. First two hours nothing and then I ran across some marking close to the bottom and got a double (one on a planer board and the other one on a drift rig), both of which were blues. Then a flathead and at the end, two more blues. All the cats had big full stomachs and some had mud markings on them. Back home around 1:20 PM.

Today's catch was released alive at my dock after photo's were made.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sorry I could'nt make it today Mac. LOL! Nice job indeed. :wink:

3. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Not to sound like an idiot but what does fish that have mud markings tell you?

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    When the surface water temperature gets in the low 50's, the blues start to laying real tight to the bottom. Also, it tells me to slow way down with my power drift, from 0.5/0.65 MPH to 0.4 or lower MPH and to start using smaller baits.

5. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Now thats a good piece of info to stay on the fish. Nice fish...:big_smile:

6. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks mac for sharing the tips