LKN Fishing Report August 4, 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks to WylieCat I did not have to go searching for suspended cats this AM. I went straight to the 105 foot depth that he reported yesterday evening and found the bait and the cats. Today they were suspended at 35 to 40 feet. Wind was out of the NE at 5 to 10 MPH, but not constant. Bait of choice was white perch, chunks and heads. I had four down rigs and four drift rigs out (what depth they (drift rigs) were I don't know) and both types of rigs caught cats. Total fishing time was 2 hours and 15 minutes and I put 12 in the boat and released three teenagers beside the boat. The larger cats hit the white perch heads.

The cats do not show up as arches on my Lowrance, but they look like pulled steel wool or a bunch of wirey worms.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks for the report an a great catch might I say!

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    WHAT! No "SABIKI" rigs today. LOL! Nice haul. :wink:

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    As most of you know from my earlier post, I harvested 12 blues this morning. I just got thru filleting them and checking their stomach contents. All but one had Blue Backs in their stomachs.

The fact that they are in this area is due to the Blue Backs, but the old cat ain't going to chase them in the open water. They let the Striper's, which are feeding in this area stun the BB's and then they get what flutters downward. May not be swift, may not have good eyesight, but they sure are smart.

Stomach contents depicted below and the two photo's.

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    George, I was afraid to drop my Sabiki Rigs down in that 100'+ water, scare Ole Moby Dick might hit it and then I would lose a $1.96 rig, know what I mean. :eek:oooh::cool2:

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats a good catch for 2 hours. Thanks for sharing your report.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Way to go Mac. Know your enemys tactics and ya will be successfull. :wink:

8. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac, in January of this year I was marking fish in 65-70' at the mouth of MT. Creek and tried dropping down lines just off the bottom with no hits. As an experiment I tried using your technique with the drift rigs and trolled through them again and actually started catching fish. Same fish, same bait only they wanted it moving.:eek:oooh: Anyway the point is that drifting/trolling will work in deep water. At least sometimes. Thanks again for your posts.

9. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Maybe until I can procure a real boat , I'll use a remote controlled boat with lines set at different depths to simulate this , as drifting proved to be
    an extremely productive method. Can't do this from shore unless possibly in a tailrace.