LKN Fishing Report August 14, 2008

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Bro. Karl and myself went to the deep water in my boat this morning. Bait of choice was Karl's secret solution on catfish chunks and strips, plus some white perch marinated in some shad oil, some frozen (twice) shad and some large gizzard shad frozen (just once). This AM the cats were in the 35 to 40 foot range in 109 feet of water. Water temp. was 88.6 degrees and wind was out of the NE 8 to 15 MPH. All baits caught at least one fish, but again, Karl's reddish brown meat from the cat marinate in the ........ was what they wanted. The cats were in a small pocket close to the fenced off area at the dam and the wind made it hard for us to stay on them. Ended up with 15 in the three to 9 pound range. Total time on the water was four hours.

2. Jman

Jman Member

State:
    NC
    Mac, Great report. Could you share with me how you rig your lines when fishing for cats suspended off the bottom. I've always rigged similar to the way I slow drifted for strippers( a carolina rig with a smaller slip sinker) but I sure haven't had any luck with the cats using this method. Thanks, Joel.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Joel, my rig for suspended cats is as follows: I place a 1.5 to 2 oz. egg sinker above my swivel, then I attach the swivel, then I add a 12 to 20 shock leader (40 pound test), then I add a 6/0 hook. You can read more about it at http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120272

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009