LKN Fishing/Ice Report Jan. 15, 2K10

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I waited until the ice crystals melted from the windshield on the Lund before I headed out to Byers Creek. Found most of Byers Creek iced (second photo) over as soon as I went under the Perth Road bridge.

So, I back peddled to the mouth of Stumpy and Cornelius Creek and set up for a power drift. Bait of choice was vacuum sealed Skip Jacks that bro. Coors gave me. I also had white perch and gizzard shad that were left over from the other day, but I did not use them. Planer boards out performed the rigs out the side and back. In less than three hours fishing, I ended up with five blues, one a teenager, one close to 12 pounds and the rest were eater size.

Surface water temperature was 40.7 degrees and the gulls were having a field day picking up dead or stunned thread fins. Plenty of striper boats in the area, but they were not catching striper's, only blues. If they had not been there, I would have loaded up.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. rahughes

rahughes New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the report Mac. I am glad the weather is getting better.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Thanks for the report Mac.

That avatar picture is priceless!!!

4. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    thanks for the report mac you are the man, are the perch biteing anywhere on norman , i need to fill the bait cooler

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    "are the perch biteing anywhere on norman , i need to fill the bait cooler" quote from jeff M.

You can find them in Davidson and Reids Creek in deep water (35 to 50') off of deep points. When you find them, it will be a massive school. Also, you hardly ever catch any small ones in the cold water months.