Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went fishing on Lake Norman this morning. Not a bite between 7-10am, then I caught an 8 pounder at 10am and a 20 pounder as I was packing up to leave at 11am.

I was power drifting in 40-50' on the outside of the main channel (mid lake). I was dragging Santee rigs (7/0 circle hook, 3" float 12" from the hook. 3' 30Lb leader and 15Lb main line.) Both were caught on strips of spotted bass (legal in NC), which I caught yesterday.

Water Boat Fin Watercraft Fish

·
Registered
Larry from North Carolina
56 Posts
I fished two weeks ago for a few hours in Ramsey creek and Cowans Ford dam area. Down lines and slip floats while power drifting. Had six takedowns but couldn't connect on anything! Very frustrating. Hooks were great. No bait fouling the hook.

It looks like you had a decent trip. I hope to get out there this weekend on Norman but don't know where I am going to go yet. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fished two weeks ago for a few hours in Ramsey creek and Cowans Ford dam area. Down lines and slip floats while power drifting. Had six takedowns but couldn't connect on anything! Very frustrating. Hooks were great. No bait fouling the hook.

It looks like you had a decent trip. I hope to get out there this weekend on Norman but don't know where I am going to go yet. Thanks for the report.
In the last two weeks or so, all of my cats have been caught in 40-50' from mid morning on. I've been getting nothing early. I think my next plan is to go shallow real early, then head back to 40-50' around 8-9am. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
In the last two weeks or so, all of my cats have been caught in 40-50' from mid morning on. I've been getting nothing early. I think my next plan is to go shallow real early, then head back to 40-50' around 8-9am. Good luck!
Now you are thinking right. Cats feed along the shoreline until the sun gets up good, then head for the deeper water.

You might try for suspended fish, like in 40 to 60 feet of water, with your baits suspended at 30 to 35 feet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now you are thinking right. Cats feed along the shoreline until the sun gets up good, then head for the deeper water.

You might try for suspended fish, like in 40 to 60 feet of water, with your baits suspended at 30 to 35 feet.
Mac, my thought was to anchor shallow, versus drifting through shallow areas, but I could be convinced either way. From what I've been reading, it seems if there is something to know about Lake Norman, you know it. I've only lived here (middle lake area) since the Spring. I appreciate any help.

As a rule of thumb, would you say that catching suspended fish has a lower probability than dragging the bottom? Right now I am comfortable with dragging four lines, keeping the boat going where it is supposed to go, etc. by myself. All four are on the bottom, at various distances from the boat. So far this has been my comfort range. At some point if I add a fifth line, that could be suspended off the bottom, as you suggest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts