LKN East Big Cats?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Scott4Catfish, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Scott4Catfish

Scott4Catfish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anyone know any good areas around Westport Marina or that side of the lake for good catfishing? Catch a variety of small ones but never anything over a few pounds. Wouldn't mind hooking a large carp either.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Scott, will you be fishing in a boat or from a dock?

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    My dad lives up that way on the water and I have gotten sevferal flatheads in the 20's near Governor's Island. Also have gotten tons of blues with a few in the 20's. I usually fish around Burton Creek up that way.

4. Scott4Catfish

Scott4Catfish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac,
    I'd like to take the boat out and find some bigger fish, all I get from the dock is small cats. There is a point almost straight across from the sailboat marina that has a "lot" of rocks up and down the shore, some of it looks to be concrete that's been there forever. I've never fished it but it definitely looks like it could be promising. Used to catch cats over near the old hotdog stand back in the eighties. Haven't seen a perch in that area in a loong time either. Carp haven't been coming around like they used too either.

Scott

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Scott, WestPoint Marina is located in Lucky Creek and some mighty fine trophy cats have come out of that creek. Take your boat and slow troll (1/2 MPH) around the shoal and the other creeks/coves in that area. I have caught some 20 to 38's within site of the Marina. You have plenty of white perch in that area, just look for them on the bottom.

6. Scott4Catfish

Scott4Catfish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Mac I'll give that a try, sure would be nice to land one that size. Any tips for attracting carp back to the area? Used to be able to chum the water with corn/bread and small ones would come up.