LKN Cat Report 4-09-09

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Departed from my dock at 7:15 AM and headed for Mtn. Creek (between RR bridge and Hwy. 150), water temp was 57 degrees and water was stained. Wind was out of the West at 5 to 10. Bait of choice was vacuum sealed white perch. Plenty of natural bait laying on the bottom.

Within 15 minutes there was a tap tap and then a smack-down. The fish was pulling drag from the get go. It went from the center rear to the left rear side of the boat. It came up and wallowed and back down pulling drag. I managed to get some line in and then it was all over. It was just holding the bait and there was no hook connection. Ended up with a 12 and an 18 pounder, both blues. I had some other tugs put no connections. Back home at 10:45 AM.

2. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good job on those blues!

3. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    hi mac,i was using 8/0circle hooks last weekend when i was drifting ,lost three nice fish,could'nt figure out why.got any awnsers?:cool2:

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Larry were you using live bait or cut bait? Im asking because I have had trouble in the past with circle hooks due to the method in which I was hooking the bait. What happens is the hook actually turns itself back into the bait and this causes you not to get a good hookup. Brother Mac may have some other ideas but thats my thoughts.

Shane

5. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I'll add my two cents if you don't mind.

I also use 8-0 circles. When I lose a hooked fish it usually seems to be because the bait is too big or too thick and the point and barb of the hook are not exposed enough to catch and penetrate. I'm very careful to thin a thick fillet where I'm going to place the hook. Heads seem to give me the most problems.

I also lost a nice fish thursday I think because my drag was too light and the hook did not penetrate deeply. I usually fish with drag set at 50% of line but had backed drag off for winter and had not checked it. Fish just peeled off line and then the hook pulled at the boat.

Hope this helps

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Larry, Shane shared with you some good information. In my case, I was using a 8/0 circle hook with a nice size perch head on it. The hook did not turn into the head, that was my first thought when I lost the fish. I also checked to see if the hook was sharp, which it was. So, I just marked it up to something that happens every now and then when you are fishing.

What I have been trying to figure out is why were those three fish in the area that they were in, there were no drop offs, trenches, humps, nothing but a lite sloping topo. with some bottom bait, but not a bunch.

I guess what bother me the most was that the big fish that got away was my first catfish bite of 2009. The purpose of the trip yesterday was to just find some fish, but I got rewarded for being there, not complaining at all.

7. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I use 8/0 size hooks and sometimes it amazes me how small a fish can get that thing in its mouth. Even a decent size flathead can make that hook look small.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Lots of times we think fish are hooked and they are not. :wink:

Generally speaking, most "short strikes" and lost fish occur on a poor or non-aggressive bite.

Just because the rod folds over and you feel the fish pull does not mean it even has the hook in its mouth. Many time they may just have the endge of the bait.

Folks that use drift rigs have two other things to complicate matters. First, catfish will many times hit the cork on the drift rig. Second, the slinky flexible "snake weights" can easily be mistaken for worm.

Lots of things can happen to prevent a "hook-up", and while there are many things you can do to reduce the number, there is NOTHING you can do to stop them from every happening.

9. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    thanks guys for all the imfo,i knew i could get some awnsers here.i guess i felt a little like mac,it was my first good outing with a couple of good ups,and afew downs,i just wanted to take care of any mistake i might be making,be fore i go back.good fishing to all:roll_eyes:

10. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Wylie Cat hit on an important point, the float. These are eatin machines. They inhale the whole rig if there is slack in the line or just a tad slow or just a big fish and you have to get the float out before you can get the hook set on some fish. I have an aquarium and am amazed at the volume of water a small fish can move when they inhale a minnow. I can only imagine what a fish 20x its weight can move. We have all caught fish where the float was beat up or the line cut halfway thru it or gone completely. I believe that it was at one point int he mouth. Just my 2 cents.