LKN 9-22-2008

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have only catfish one day in the past week, been trying to save my gas for a trip. But, almost every morning I go out in the cove I live in and catch some perch. Sunday AM, I did go out and fish for cats for several hours and caught six, nothing to brag about. This AM I went out perching and jigging for flathead because the weatherman said this morn. that we had some major wind heading our way Tuesday and Wednesday.

From the get go I was on the perch, but they wanted nothing to do with my 1/4 oz. jigging spoon, then I caught several on my Sabiki Rig and one of them threw up a shad. I looked at the shad and compared it to the spoon that I was using and the spoon was too small. Took the 1/4 off and put a 1/2 oz white jigging spoon on and started catching perch. I have included a photo depicting the bait and my 1/2 oz. spoon, they look like twins.

To my surprise, I pulled up a 4.75 pound flathead on the jigging spoon, plus some small (6 to 8") stripers. Tipped the hooks on the Sabiki Rig with shrimp and that helped with my numbers.

2. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hope those stripers grow a little before next month Mac. :wink:

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Maybe in two or three years they will be grown up. I am amazed at how many little stripers we are catching within the perch clusters. You don't guess they have forgotten their family.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...To my surprise, I pulled up a 4.75 pound flathead on the jigging spoon..."

A man told me you can catch some monster flatheads on a jigging spoon if you are patient enough....and have the elbow for it. :wink:

ISYN....

5. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hope not! I wouldnt mind seeing some hybrids but I dont know about Striped Perch...LOL:smile2:

6. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I wonder who that might have been Wyliecat ?:eek:oooh:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like an exciting trip, congrats and good luck in the future