LKN 9-18-2008

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Really had my heart set on going cattin this AM, but when I went down to the dock and turned my Llowrance on and saw that the water surface temp had dropped 4+ degrees overnight and the weatherperson calling for NE winds of 5 to 10 MPH, with gust up to 18, I said no way. So I went perch jerking in the cove that I live on. From 7:00 to 8:30 AM just lite wind and then it started blowing.

I got on some larger perch and man do they slam the jigging spoon. I caught about 12 of my normal size and 8 of the larger ones. A large gar busted my fish buoy like it was a top water plug. No damage done, just teeth marks.

We will be eating the larger ones one night soon. The smaller ones will be meeting Mr and Ms Whiskers tomorrow AM, if the wind will settle down.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report. Just curious, what do you do when you have a guided trip scheduled and the weather is not cooperating?? The conditions you are talking about occurs fairly often I'm guessing.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Shane, if I think the weatherperson is right in their forecast, I call the client and let them know what the weather will be like for the trip. If they decide to go, we go, unless there are going to be small craft warnings. I have places to fish out of a steady wind, but they are 50/50 types of places and not necessarly trophy cats haunts. If they decide not to go, we reschedule it for another date. Now if I'm just fun fishing for cats, I just find some other type of fish to fish for. With the price of gasoline what it is now, I'm not going to burn a bunch to fun fish. Now I have no problem burning gas for my clients, that's just part of the gig.

You mentioned that it appears that we have wind fairly often. No, most of our wind comes with a front approaching and then we get the wind again to move the front out. Hanna, Fay and Ike have moved a lot of stuff thru us the past month. Also, the first 30 to 45 minutes of daylight we have what is called a lake wind, some times it is strong, mild or weak, but it is always around. This lake wind we can work with due to it's short duration.