LKN 9-07-08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    It has been several weeks since I have given LKN a full four hours of cattin. I left my dock at 7 AM and headed for the perch hole and caught a few, plus a small striper and bass. Got setup for cattin at 8:45 AM and found the water temp to be 82.6 degrees and the water was colored from the recent rains. Wind was out of the NE at 5 to 8 MPH. I put out two side planer boards with live bait on and had four trolling rigs out the back. Net results was eight blues (all eating size) and two channel cats. I got too hot or I would have stayed out there for the 12 to 2 bite. Blues were caught in 30 plus feet of water and the channels in less than 20. Met one of my fishing partners heading out and gave him the rest of my bait.

2. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    I was out yesterday morning also. It was a tough one! I only caught 2 blues in about 2 hours. I decided to move and try a new place. I went to the last island before the river starts. There is a long point we catch spots on. I tried a slow troll across the point. In about 15 minutes I lost 3 of my 5 lines to snags. I use snagless wieghts but they only work up to a certain point. It was frustrating.

It still was a beautiful day.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Did ya get any on the planer boards?

4. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Mac,
    What kind of planer boards do you use? Also do you fish the bait with weight or let it freeline. I have tried it with my yellowbirds with mixed results. Seems I have to drift to fast to get the boards out. Thanks in advance.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have some old Yellowbirds and they are a tad heavy for catfish drifting. I now use the Water Bugz which were developed here on LKN by a local fellow, they are real lite. Just Google Water Bugz and you can pull him up. You will never get them to run parallel to the boat like you do striper fishing. I use the 3/4 oz. slinky to hold the bait to the bottom. The function of the board is to increase your spread width. For more information go to the Publications area and click on Mac Byrum's Catfish University and you will find additional info. on planer boards.

6. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Mac. I have some waterbugz I just figured they were to light to drag a weight.