LKN 8-05-08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Today I had as my guest Ms Jackie Russell, who got a little antsy on me in the beginning, put calm down a tad when I got a fish in the boat. I went out to get cats for supper and did not take any bait with me. I gambled that I could find some white perch, which I did and we went trolling for cats.

Water surface temp. was 86.9 degrees and I had just a tad of wind out of the North. White perch strips again was the bait of choice by the cats. I left my dock at 7 AM and was back a little before 9 AM. Caught three Ark. Blues (4, 5.5 and 6#) and kept and cleaned same for supper.

I had two major strikes and got neither in the boat. The first one was on a perch head and he took the head and the hook. My knot came loose (shame on me). The second one was one heck of a pole bender and this time the hook turned into the perch head.

2. supra06

supra06 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    At least you got some supper, sorry to hear about the big boys coming unglued. Do you think I can find some perch without a fish finder, what kind of water should I look in? We usally catch a few off the dock(5-15ft) by using worms but I want to try the sabaki rig from the boat. We'll probably be fishing anywhere from Davidson/Reeds Creek and north of there, on up the river. Thanks.

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Mac,

Do mind posting some details? Trolling how fast? What depth of water? How deep is the main channel in the area you're fishing? Are you pulling those rigs through brushpiles, rocky points or just open water? Inquiring minds need to know.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds like a good day out there on the water! I hope those cats were good eating:wink:!

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bryan, right now we are finding them in the backs of coves in 18 to 21' of water. When I locate them in large schools I hover over them and only use the trolling motor to stay in the spot. I also throw out a fish buoy to mark the area. The Sabiki Rig works great with a slight up and down motion and the white and chartruse jigs will also do the job. A small piece of worm on a bream hook with a little weigh will do the trick. No brush, no points, just plenty of 1 to 1.5" shad in the area. I know for a fact that they are eating the small threadfin shad, because they are throwing them up in my bait tank and livewell. They can also be found close to shoals that have some 12 to 20' of water.

Supra06, it is going to be tuff for you to find schools of perch without a fishfinder (sonar). It can be done, but it would be pure luck if you found a bunch.

6. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I know a fellow that has two fishfinders on his boat. But, when looking for white perch he don't use either of them (Mac, you have his name and number). He trolls a three-way rig. He has his mainline, a three-way swivel, one leader goes off the 3-way with a large, deep diving plug on it. The other leader goes off the 3-way with a small Mepps or a roostertail spinner on it. The only point in the big plug is to get the roostertail down to the bottom. He trolls this rig at about 2.4 - 2.8 MPH GPS speed with the big plug just ticking the bottom at all times. When he catches a perch, he notes the location and trolls through again. After catching several, it tells him that there's a school present. He then uses worms or cut bait on a jighead in order to make a good catch. This method is also highly effective for catching blue catfish in the summer. He sometimes catches 50-75 cats a day with that rig.

7. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went to a seminar once and a catfish guide I know was there teaching folks to tie hooks. Do you know that guide by chance Mac?:wink: At least you got some supper. By the way does Jackie eat fish?

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Shane, Jackie eats everything, even bait on a hook. She done it twice and the circle hook got her in the upper lip each time. When it happens, she knows not to turn and run. She just stands there until I cut the hook or slip it out.

The hook that came off was snelled! Most knots will fail, but I have not figured this one out, yet!

9. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    If the dog world had comidians it would be Jack Russells. Big dog attitude in a small body.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...My knot came loose (shame on me)...."

At least you are honest!!! :wink:

11. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I'm going to use that one Mac next time I have an equipment malfunction such as a bad knot. j/k, I've been there and it sucks. I lot the biggest fish of my life on the Congaree river when an Eagle Claw hook (Lo42, 5/0) straightened out on me. I'm kind of glad it did because that fish almost pulled me out of the boat and I wasn't turning loose of my rod. It happens to everybody.

13. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Mac knot came untied??????????:crazy::eek:oooh::smile2: Why I expected more out of you!! No just kiddin' anything can happen to the best of fisherman. Glad you got some dinner in the process of losin' hooks!!:smile2::smile2:

14. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I was cinching one one time and it pulled free. I resnelled it and cinched it again and it pulled free again. I was confused, but after looking at it closer, I saw that there was a little burr right at the hookeye. It was created when the machine cut the wire to length, before the eye was ever bent. That little burr was cutting my 50# line like a razor. I grabbed the hook file and filed it off and needless to say had no more problems.

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the roport and it looks like you got some good fish