LKN 10-06-08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    This will not be a catfish report, but a striper report, before someones says to go to Other Fish, let me tell you about stripers as catfish bait.

First, you need to catch them and right now is an excellent time for 16 to 20" stripers. All you need is several 1/4 oz. Road Runners (BOC Sponsor) and some lite weigh gear. I use spinning reels and moderate lite rods and 10 pound test line. Attach the Road Runners (white ones) to your fishing line and cast it out 20 to 30 feet behind the boat. Run your trolling motor at 3/4 to 1 MPH in an area holding stripers. Also, have available a rig with a buck tail or Red Fin on it for surface fish. It is not uncommon to catch two to six stripers at one time on your rigs.

If you want to troll with your outboard, upsize your gear and pull hard baits that will go down 8 to 18 feet. Try to keep your RPM's at 750. If you are catching more bass than stripers, increase the RPM's to 1,000. Green, chartruse and blue are your best colors for hard baits. If you are trolling with your outboard, please do not enter areas that have fisherpersons using their trolling motors.

If you objective is to catch bait, you can freeze them whole, filet them and keep the skin on or chop them up. But, if you want to eat them they make great tablefare. Striper strips and cut bait will do a number on big blue cats in the cold months.

During the month of October, you can find them (stripers) at the openings of several creeks in the vicinity of Marker 13 on LKN. The daily limit is four stripers per person, with a minimum size of 16". Prime time to fish them is 6:30 to 8:30 AM with the Road Runners and down lines with live bait after the sun gets up over the tree tops.

If anybody has any question, I'm sure Shane and myself can find an answer for you.

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I dont have the lures to fish for striper, I get in them sometimes catfishing and would like to maximize on it but I can't throw anything but live bait at them. I would go buy something but not sure what to get. This helps Mac, thanks. I need to book a striper trip with you and see what all the fuss is about.:smile2:

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Jerry, it's about time on Badin, I'll let you know when I'm heading out and maybe we can get you hooked up on some stripers.

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jerry theres nothing wrong with throwing live bait at them. If they are the smaller 16-20 inch stripers like Mac is describing small gizzard shad, herring, threadfin shad, or shiners will work quite well. The trick is to get those live baits into the proper depth where the fish are. Try using split shots to get your bait down while your trolling. The striper trip with brother Mac is a great idea too! :wink:

5. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info Mac. I to have thought about using stipers for bait, but was wondering if it would be legal to cut striper up and use them for bait. If you cut them up, they would be under the regulation size. I know you can't cut crappie up on certain lakes because of the length regulations. Just wondering ?

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like a lot of fun catching the stripers. Good luck and thanks again for the info

7. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Glenn when using a gamefish species for bait use the fillets and keep the carcass until you are finished for the day in case you are checked. This way they can still measure the fish.

8. Wayne Couick

Wayne Couick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the tip!!:cool2:

9. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks shimano. The light bulb come on :smile2:. Never thought about doing it that way :roll_eyes:.

10. Coors

Coors New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Shane, you and Mac can't tell all the secrets. LOL:wink:

11. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
  12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State: