Livewells

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCatSteve, Jan 26, 2006.

1. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    For a homemade livewells what do you think is the best battery for them, it will be about 100 gallons. I was thinking about using a car battery does anyone have any suggestions???

2. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Batteries are a huge pain if you are planning on using it that often. I have a battery operated one to take on trips and while baiting my lines. The one which runs all the time at the house is the pump off of a soft pool. It works really good....filters the water and all. The BOC library has a ton of examples and is the best source of information to point you in the right direction.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your using it at home (cant see someone lugging around 100 gallons unless your doin something funny:glare: !) i'd just hook it up to a battery charger. those transformers for door chimes convert 120vac to 12vdc, you can rig up a power source with one of them too. if you are gonna be transporting this tank i wouldnt use a car battery but a deep cell marine. youll ruin a car battery draining/recharging all the time. i have 3 deep cell marines for sale if your intirested?

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Dink im helping Steve with the livewell because i have a couple 30 gallons here, its just something to keep baitfish in at the house, its goin to stay on the back porch all summer

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    and you should also see the bait fish we fish with we need alot of space, its amazing how a dozen suckers that 10 to 20 inches long and 5 or 6 inch bluegill take up space, not to mention the big gizzard shad we get

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah id just hook up a 12v source from the house.

7. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    thanks for the suggestion Dink,would still like to gat one of those batteries though.Without a good battery bait dont stay lively enough with i have now

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I keep my 300 gallon bait tank under the deck. Plug it into the GFI outlet on the side of the house.

9. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I have a few different sit ups that I use for livewells.

1st is my big one it is a old big deep freeze. It is about 7 ft long and 4 feet wide. I have no idea how much water it holds, but I never have it over half full. It will hold 100's of gills. When I take week off from work to fish I will spend about 3 days filling it up with bait. The pump is a bilge pump I got at Wal Mart, it has a hose attached to it that brings the water about 2 feet above the water line and back in as it falls. I also have a outside filter like on a fish tank with charcoal in it to keep the water clean. I also use this tank to put my catch in when I don't have time to clean them. They will live up to a week.

2nd is a 42gal cooler. I only use this for transporting bait. When I get home they go in the deep freeze or in bait box.

3rd Bait box. I had a high school kid make me a wooden bait box. It has wire mesh sides and starfoam under the top to keep it float, it is about 3ftx11/2ft. It will hold about 30 gills 5-6 inch. I have a small one if needed.

I tip I got from a friend is put a big plastic trash can to collect rain water. That is what I put in the freeze when I need to fill.

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    this livewell we are setting up is a monster the livewell i used last year was a 35 gallon coooler that i plugged into the outlet with a 12v but it didnt have enough space hopefully the 100 will