livewell

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by willcat, Nov 10, 2007.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    do u think a pontoon would "drag" or lose too much speed if u put the livewell built into the floor??? it would "hang" down about 11" below the deck right in the middle of the boat. just didnt want it in the flip flop seat anymore as im using it for storage now. i kept only one of the 42" seats and use that for lifejackets & small stuff in the back of the boat for the wife when she goes-then put swivel seats in the front & for the captains chair. any suggestions?????:confused2:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My suggestion would be to make the livewell shallow enough so that when you are running the pontoon at speed, the bottom of the livewell isn't touching the water, or just barely touching. Angle the bottom towards the back a little, so that when the bottom of the livewell is in the water, say from hitting a big wave, the bottom of the livewell will actually help lift the pontoon. Install a pump to put water into the livewell, and make sure that it will pick up water at top speed. A couple of screened overflow holes in the sides or back of the livewell should keep it from overflowing.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was thinking about doing the same thing awhile back with a door on the floor but no one here thought it would work to well. the thread is prob still on here.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've been thinking of building another larger livewell in my boat as well. I have a 2072 SeaArk RiverCat and would like to build one close to the front of the boat...like near the fuel tank. Just not sure what materials to use.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i think it will work, mine is just 12" deep & 17 by 24, so it would be out of the water all the time, more for just bait purposes really i'll post back on this if i decide to do it

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My only concern with having a livewell that hangs below the cross members of a pontoon is the power of water.
    It would totally depend on where I used my pontoon if I were to do this to mine.
    If I used it on a lake, noway I would do it.
    A river like the Cape Fear river where the only wave I would have to contend with is boat wake, I'd think about it.

If you think about how fast you are running and how fast a wave is running and put that force dead on to a livewell hanging below a crossmember it could cause catastrophic damage. If not catastrophic, expensive to repair.

The force of something that weighs 8 pounds a gallon is no joke.
    I saw this first hand once on a boat and what got torn up was topside.
    We were parryng back and forth on a 24 footer in the Bogue inlet getting our timing down on the incoming waves so we could make a dash through the inlet into the ocean where it was alot calmer.

Our timing was a little off. We broached and hit an oncoming wave hard. Hard enough to shatter the entire windshield. Not only shattered the windshield but destroyed the entire windshield frame , broke the mounts, and ripped holes in the fiberglass where the winshiled was mounted. Not a good day on the water but a learning experience as to the power of water and the forces you cant see. Glad it wasnt my boat and my decision to try to make it out. It caused several thousand in damages.

I would be leary about hanging anything below a pontoon that could snag a wave. There aint much to a pontoon boat anyway. Its structure is entirely dependent on the crossmembers and the flooring.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i've sinced scratched that idea, i think i'm just gonna use an igloo and pump water into it from the pump that is mounted on the right rear of the toon below water level!!!Alot safer & cheaper thanks for all the input!!

8. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Maybe if you have room you could mount a livewell back behind the back seat above the motor or some where back their where it is above the water.

But then the igloo and pump might be the best because how often do people actually use their livewell? If you were going it to take fish home to eat, then I would just pack the cooler full of ice and just throw them in there. Then you don't have to move them and just take the cooler home and inside for preparation.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats exactly my thinking. The only reason to possess a fish live is for tournaments.
    It probally isnt legal in Tenn. but in NC If my intentions are to keep fish, I clean them as I go and put the meat on ice.

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i think i'll start doing that also, except if the game warden checks them we would have to keep the carcasses to show him that they were legal, but no big deal!!!

11. mfclark

mfclark Member

State:
    Texas
    In texas you can,t clean your catch as you fish.:sad2: