Livewell

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by mocatman, Jun 30, 2009.

1. mocatman

mocatman Guest

Hey guys i was just curious if you could tell me a good way to keep some cats alive in a a homemade livewell. My new boat doesnt have one big enough, So i thought about cutting a plastic 55 gal drum down and filling it. I am fishing in a tournament in a couple months and need to keep em alive for a night tour. So how do you all do it?

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Drill hole in the bottom edge and install aerator, pipe it to the top edge and install spray nipple. Hook it up to a extra battery and will run all night with no problems. :wink:

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I fish off a pontoon so I use a 100gal rubber watering tank. I only put about 30-40 gals in it I have a 350 gal/hr aerator I put in it. So far it has worked.

Welcome to the BOC

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use a blue barrel laid on its side. Cut an opening in the top and get some hinges and a latch and install a bilge pump. There is some good info in the library on how to make a filter to remove the poo and ammonia too! Welcome to the BOC Wayne!

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I modified a version of an aerator that BSK72 posted in the library, and it works GREAT! His plan is for a kiddie pool/bait tank conversion. I omitted the charcoal filter portion, substituted the PVC with hose, and just used the actual venturi aerator portion. All you need is a thru-hull pump, a thru-hull fitting, some hose that fits the pump and fitting nipple (1/2" I think), and some 3/8" acrylic tubing. This can be applied to any container. I used a 750 GPH pump. I highly suggest it. I have kept 2 dozen large shad alive for 2 days in my livewell. The pump was $50, but everything else is very inexpensive.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84933&highlight=venturi+aerator

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I think the more bud light Brandon drinks the more ideas he comes up with...lol That turned out good Brandon. I would Def. give that a try this summer

7. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The old boat I had didn't have a livewell. We would use stringers through the bottom lip and then put them in a stock tank to haul them back. Put some weight on the stringer next to the fish to keep them down in the water. It is cooler there and they don't thrash and beat on the boat as bad. We usually tied them seperatly just because we thought they were in better shape. Us a bilge pump with a long hose on it to fill the tank in the mourning so that you get the coolest water you can and then get a good air pump. Hauled back over 140# to Waverly like that. All the fish were in great shape. If you can get you an oxygen system. That is the best way cause even if the water gets warm they still have plenty of O2. A big cooler would work well also.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Get a 100 gallon stock tank or be a little more creative and get your self a truck tool box. Drill holes and get a keep alive pump. A normal recirc pump is better then nothing but it does not add the oxygen your fish require.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The funny thing is all the fish that I have seen brought in on a stringer have been in sad shape. I guess thats why bass guy's don't use them and some catfish tournaments have outlawed them as well. :big_smile: Not going to argue just stating facts.

10. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Lots of times guys try and tie more than one on a line and then they twist and wrap up and the whole nine yards. If you tie one per rope and use some weight to keep them down they usually do real well. A live well in the boat is absolutly the best way but some times that just isn't the option you have. If you have a livewell with oxygen added you should never loose a fish but I have seen fish die in a livewell over night as well. Not saying my way is the best or whatever, but I have used it with good success and with big fish. The weight thing is the key to keeping them in good shape I think. I guess it is what ever works for who is doing it but that is how I have done it and will do it again if need be. Good luck.

11. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The bass guys are also always on the move and it is easier to put five fish in a livewell that weigh 20# than it is to put five fish in a livewell that weigh 146#. What tournaments don't allow stringers? I don't fish many anymore but have fished a few in the last five years.

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

I can not think of any that do allow stringers, maybe the ones put on by the local community groups or a bait shop but all the well know events do not allow them.

13. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think the WWCATS allows stringrs. The Waverly cats tournys allows stringers. Not sure about Cabela's. Like I said, don't fish them much anymore but I don't think that the stringer is the reason the fish die. A good livewell is the best way but you still have to take care of the fish. When the weather is hot a livewell can be death to a fish. Even if you keep the water changed the surface temp can be so hot it kind of just cooks them. I don't want to arguee, but I have turned in some nice fish that were kept on stringers with no problems. If you don't like how I do it that is fine. Good luck with your way and have fun with it regardless of how you do it.