Livewell?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by mudfishmusic, Jan 26, 2009.

1. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm planning to fish my first tournament this year. A 5 fish limit could easily go over 200lbs. How do you guys keep your fish alive until they reach the scales?

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use an alum. truck toolbox that I put a pump in and use that but never needed something that large. thinking I may cushion the top and let it double as a bed at times.

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
  4. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    120 gallon cattle trough. Use a bilge pump on a hose to pump water in from the lake continuously while in use, with an over flow hose about 6 inches from the top. Install a drain plug at the bottom or you can pump the water back out putting the bilge in the tank and the end of the hose back in the lake. The water coming in can be ran through PVC with a bunch of holes in it to get a little more oxygen in the water. You can install a valve to regulate intake. When moving across the lake you can put the bilge in the tank which will recirculate what's in there. You'll want it this big for 5 big fish. We normally put 5 in ours totaling over 100 pounds and have had as much as 160 in there.....never lost a fish, but during hot weather they can get pretty run down.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have a 100 gallon tank onboard also with a recirculation pump and overflo also a 12V bubbler in it. Works great. 200lbs of fish ina tournament will be a sure fire win. I hope Im not fishing that 1.:smile2:

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Bruce and I made one from a hard plastic tool box that goes into the back of a truck. Added a high capacity pump and spray bar. We put it to the test for the first time Sat. And trust me, they were very lively after 4 hours in there. They show there butt and took off like a rocket!

7. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It's doesn't happen very often but I've had a few nights where we've put 5 fish ranging from 30 to 60 pounds in the boat. I certainly don't expect it to happen when it counts but I want to be ready if it does.

I'm going to go with the 110 gallon stock tank. I will put a spray bar and an air induction pump (home made keep alive) in the tank but I'm not sure if that's enough. My problem is that I think the sidewall of my boat is going to be too deep for me to run the overflow over the top and I don't want to punch any holes through my boat. I love the idea of being able to throw the bilge pump running the spray bar overboard but without a way to let it spill I'm not sure whether I can keep a good fresh water exchange going. I can add baitsaver to the water to help with ammonia build up but we're looking at a lot of big fish.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....A 5 fish limit could easily go over 200lbs...."

I wouldn't say "easily". Don't know that I have ever seen a 200 pound tournament, not to say it ain't happen. Very rare.

You get 200 pounds and my money says you WIN!

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I use the bildge pump and overflow on my tank. I run my overflow hose to the back and stick it through the scupper. Its down hill and drains perfectly. I had to cut down the flow in but get good circulation. I also run a spraybar all the time

10. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You're right, "easily" is playing it down but I think Hill's Landing in Santee had a tournament last year where the top 5 boats all had total weights ranging from 195-260 lbs. They might have had different limits but I know it's possible so I'll be ready. Just look at some of the fishing reports on this site from lake Marion and Moultrie and it's hard to believe some of the guides don't stand a chance of pulling off a 200 lb total on any given night.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Lawrence the Hills event is a 2 day 10 fish limit. With that being said the only way at santee you could weigh-in a 200lb stringer with the 36" rule in effect is if you had 2 70+lbers to weigh-in cause your other 3 fish are gunna have to be 20-lbs to be under the 36". I see what you are saying and I have a 100 galloin tank that I do feel very confident in and that is al that matters to me. I hope you get to fish with us in March at Packs Landing. I believe that is your neck of the woods isint it.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wait'll y'all see what we roll up with next weekend for a livewell at our first tournament! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::crazy::crazy::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

Bill in SC

13. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    Yep Bill I think they will get a big kick out of our new live tank HA! HA!:smile2::confused2:

14. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    You GO Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool2: Show em how it's done.

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <You GO Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool2: Show em how it's done.>

Nyuk, nyuk!! :wink::wink::wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

BB in SC

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Please tell me its not an old bathtub.:smile2:

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    All I will say is "wait and see!" :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

Bill in SC

18. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Yeap, I realized the 2 day tournament deal after rereading the results but I also saw that ir was astually about a day and a half and I believe you ought to be able to do nearly as well in a 14 hr night tournament.

We are certainly planning to join ya'll at Pack's. Are we limited to a 2 person team? If so, I'm not sure that we will be able to actually fish the tournament as there will be 2 couples in my boat.

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No in the PDC tournamnets you can have up to 4 people in the boat but you can still only have 2 catfish of any kind over 36" and you can still only fish with 6 rods.

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill I am sitting on pins and needles.:smile2: