Livewell Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by KansasKatter, Feb 4, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am in the process of installing a livewell tank I came across in my 16' jon. I have one pump to pump in fresh water, and have an over flow drain and all, to make it a fresh water system. I also have a re-circ. pump I want to install that will provide aerated water while under way, or trailering from hole to hole.

My question is this. If I put a timer on the livewell, what is the best way to run both pumps independantly of one another? Should I put a switch between each pump and the timer, to break control the circut? Or should I have two timers and control them that way?

My preference is to have one timed switch that is capable of running multiple pumps, and putting a switch after the timer, to each of the pumps that can control the power to wichever pump I wish to have running.

Is that even possible, or should I just get two timers?

2. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Not that it matters and I dont know how your timer is but you use a switch on the hot(red) leg. I would say if you install your timer and a a/b switch you will only be able to control one pump at a time. So if you switch to the other B livewell then your A livewell will shut off. It all depends on how much you use both livewells and how much battery you have.
    Also check what the watt or amp rating is on your timer as you can probably wire both pumps up to it and then just put a on/off switch on both legs also.
    As long as the draw of both of your pumps is not more than the timer output, you are all set.

I just looked up a timer and it listed circuit load at 10 amps
    Rule pump 500 gph is 2 amps
    750 is 2 amps
    1100 is 3.3 amps
    So any combination of the 2 will only put you at less than 6 amps which is well withing reason for wiring 2 pumps to one timer. So check the rating of your timer and pumps. Pumps spike a little as they start so you do want a little head room.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would just use one pump and some valves in the piping. You could flip two valves and do the same thing.

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Mark,

I considered doing that, but I was given a Keepalive pump, that sits inside the tank, with a venturi tube that pulls air in. It was free, so I would like to use it. It is submersable, and held in place with a bracket, or suction cups.

I think I will go with my original idea. I can use the fresh water pump to fill the tank, and exchange water every 5 minutes or whatever with the timer. Then when we are moving, or trailering, I can turn it off with the inline switch, and turn the re-circ. pump on, allowing the timer to control it the same way.

Sound like that will work? Wiring is not my strong point....

5. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    You have the right idea if you want to run both pumps off the same timer.

You will need to get either an ON/ON or an ON/OFF/ON toggle switch. Run the hot wire from the timer switch to the input of the toggle switch. You can then run one toggle output to your main pump and the second to the recirc. pump. I would suggest the ON/OFF/ON switch and, when not in use, put it in the off position also for extra protection agains battery drain. That is just my suggestion, either type toggle will suit your purpose.

Thanks for the question also. Now you have me curious if I should do the same on my livewell!

6. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a 30 gal tank hooked to two pumps, my main pump changes water 20 times a hour and my second pump is used underway and to circleate water in one direction, i dont use a timer, just a off on swith for each pump, mine are on my console but you can put them anywhere to meet your needs. you will also need a check valve between main pump and tank to hold water in tank while underway. spring loaded chack valve works best. The two pump system works great.

7. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Could you explain the need for a check valve? If you have a typical livewell set up with an aeration spray bar I can't see how you would lose water underway or otherwise. Thanks!