livewell timers...

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Shawn, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi all...

one topic i've seen bantered around is the benefits of those livewell timers that cycle on 30 seconds once every two minutes to conserve battery. Sounds like a great idea, but $30 is a little steep if you're not going to use it a whole lot.

An idea I had was to pick-up one of those celing fan/whirlpool timers... the kind you wind the dial up to 15 minutes. I think you could put that in the supply wire to your areator and then just dial up to a minute or two at a time and wait several minutes in between cycles... you could also wind it up to 10-15 minutes and run the aerator on the way to the river on long trips. I don't like to run the battery too much before I even get there, but I don't like to drive 1.5 hours with a few dozen bluegills with the aerator off the whole way either. Usually I stop a few times to manually connect/disconnect the aerator from the battery.

I'm thinking of trying this set-up; if I do i'll report back. The wind up timers are only about $10...

Shawn

2. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Sounds like a great idea .... keep us posted, i don't have a boat with a livewell but i do have a couple bait tanks i keep in the garage that run on 12v batteries and i have to constantly charge batteries to keep em going something that would cycle like that will conserve battery juice and save me a lot of trouble.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    MAdkatter, a small pond pump will take care of your home bait tanks, and will probably cost less in the longrun. The one i use can be purchused at lowe's or home depot about 35 bucks.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I just went to walmart and bought a $6 air pump that runs on a couple D batteries. works good. Came with pump, hose, and a small stone.

5. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Dang i never thought of that..i have a pump in the garage from our old garden pond.....feel kinda stupid that i never thought of that.thanks