Livewell plumbing:

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by kat in the hat, Feb 10, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, here's the plan. We (TCAT & I) went to Bass Pro today, and much to my dismay, they didn't have any complete livewell kits. So...this is what we got. 1-750gph livewell pump with through-hull fitting, 1-aeration/inflow bar, 1-inflow strainer, 1-overflow strainer, 2-through box fittings, 2-'T' fittings, 1-water proof wire conduit (for in-box recirculation pump), 20' of 3/4" rubber hose, an adjustable livewell timer/manual switch, and 2-check valves.

He got lots of other goddies to kick the project off with, but I am looking for input on this livewell plan. Like I said, we got a timer, so that fresh water can be circulated, and we have a bilge pump style aerator to go inside the box so the fresh water can be shut off, and existing water can be recirculated/oxygenated. It will be drained with a check valve via gravity through the existing transom drain hole.

Anybody have an issue with this plan???

Attached Files:

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Looks great, Hope the install goes well...:0a24:

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Not to burst your bubble but a spray bar is not going to work like you would hope. You want to get small bubbles into the water. Not just simply pushing water down on top of the water. You would be better off with a power bubbles then a spray bar. If you really want to learn how a livewell works check out Keep Alive's website. There a BOC sponsor and they have a lot of good information on the site.

4. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I have checked out the KeepAlive oxygen infusers, and they are cool. I agree with you, and may have to look in to a bubble stone of some sort, or a seperate supply of oxy. There was just nothing of that nature available off the shelf.:sad2:

Along with the spray bar, there will be another aerator in the livewell, and fresh water can be circulated. Hopefully, that will keep the water oxygenated. As long as the plumbing aspect works, we can add a different type of aeration later on.

Also, in the drawing, it appears that the drain in the livewell is cosiderably lower than the drain hole in the transom, but in reality it's not that way.

5. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
  6. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you. I've checked those out too, and the power jet aerator is a possible future add-on. Looks simple, and straight forward, and inexpensive.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Looks good, man! The only thought I had (and I'm going to this with my bait well) is some kind of foam/sponge on the bottom around your pump to act as a filter. It would filter out lots of the chunkies from all those bait fish and you could just rinse it out in the river when it gets too disgusting. Or just put it under a buddies car seat and get another one. Whichever seems most entertaining at the time:smile2:

8. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Or just put it under a buddies car seat and get another one.

LOL...OR my boss' seat. Great idea!!!:smile2: