livewell or bait tank info

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by mark29860, May 23, 2008.

1. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I need a little help. I would like to know if a boats livewell does a good job of keeping blueback herring and threadfin shad alive as long as I keep adding water and keeping the water cool. I'm trying to find out if I need to buy a bait tank or if the livewell is just as good thanks for the info

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    More than likely this will not work,it may work for a while in the cool months of winter but not in the summer,save yourself alot of time and buy a good bait tank if it fits your budget,you will be very glad you did in the long run,filtration and insulation are the 2 big keys to keeping em alive

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I agree. you'll get by in the cooler months with just about anything, but when the water warms up you'll need a good bait tank. Creek Bank Bait tanks are about the best. I have one on my shopping list for someday!

4. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i don't know about threadfin shad (we have gizzard shad around here) but if your livewell isn't round it definitely won't work. they beat theirselves to death in the corners. you can make youself a decent tank for less than $100. a 500gl per hour pump. $18.at wal-mart. three ft of one inch tubing less than five. look in the boc library how to make a insulated tank and your in business. i promise you its well worth the money. as far as skips i have very limited expieriances with them but i hear they are tough to keep alive . hope this helps and good luck.