Livewell install on a Jonboat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by SeanT., Aug 28, 2008.

1. SeanT.

SeanT. New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Texas
    I am new to the board and have found this to be the best and most informative forum yet.

My question is about installing a livewell in to a jonboats cross seats. I have a 18 foot boat that I am fixing up for catfishing and to try and save some space I was wanting to put a livewell into the back cross seat. The only place I have found that sells anything close to what I am wanting is Cabelas. Is there another source I am over looking and is this even a good idea to do? I was thinking of a 14 gallon tank with a hatch lid similair to whats in a bass boat.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I ordered my SeaArk 1652 with a livewell in the center seat, and wish now I hadn't. It's not insulated, won't drain all the way, and requires supplemental aeration to keep bait.

I get the impression you are talking about something quite a bit different than the basic factory box with a hole to the river, and that may serve you well, but you will be giving up quite a bit of flotation capacity.

Take a look in the BOC Library at the portable livewell designs there before you pick up that saw.:wink:

3. SeanT.

SeanT. New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Texas
    I think I am just gonna use a regular bait tank for now. Maybe my next boat I will get one with multi livewells for bait and fish. I am more interested in getting on the water than working on the boat for the next 2-4 weeks anyways.:confused2:

4. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sean, I done this same mod a few years back. I made mine out of plywood covered w/fiberglass mat and resin. After a count on the cost of materials, I would have been just as well off to order one like your considering. It worked fine but overall I would just as soon make one out of a cooler and take it out when not needed.

Welcome to the BOC. This is the best Catfish forum going without a doubt!!

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I would seriously consider either a portable one or a cooler livewell. You will lose your floatation foam if you take out the seat (only a problem if you flip/sink the boat, but you never know). That will also add over 100 pounds just in water weight to the very back of the boat. Depending on your setup/configuration and motor/power, that could cause poor handling, weight distribution problems, or cause the back of the boat to ride too low in the water at rest which could cause your boat to swamp in the right conditions. Now, I say that but at the same time I doubt it would be a problem in an 18foot boat, but its still something to consider. Not to mention you can then take the portable one out if you decide to go hunting, joyride or do something else with your boat and dont need it.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have a cooler with one of the pumps that attached to the bottom of the cooler with suction cups. You're only limited by the size of your cooler. It works real well. Some times I take the pump and use it in half of a 55 gal. barrel in the back of my truck when bank fishing. It is a very versitile unite. I personally would not go to the trouble of putting a pemenate bait well in the boat. Just my 2 cent worth:wink: