Livewell help needed

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by cat tamer, Oct 22, 2007.

1. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    What is a good way to prevent the overflow from being blocked by bait fish in the livewell ?

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O

Attached Files:

3. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Install a T on the top of the tube with about 3 inches of pvc on each side. Drill holes in the bottom of pvc to make a better drain or serve as to give you air in the water for some of the livewells that work both ways. It gives you a handle effect and is easier to pull out and put in also..

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You could put the bait fish in a bait tank where they belong!

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    My choices for a location on my boat to put bait is in a 14 gallon livewell or a 40 gallon live well . the 14 gallon has rounded corners and is insulated does that qualifiy it as a bait tank ?

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I wouldn't take MrT to seriously, LOL!!! He hasn't had his meds today, LMAO!!!
    To me any livewell on the boat is a bait well as, I don't fish tournaments (I just run them) and I CPR all of mine.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ive tried to crp those shad before buts its hard to hold there nose shut.:eek:oooh:

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Suppose it might, but I bet you'd be happier with a Grayline or Creek Bank or Blue Water bait tank in the 30 to 40 gallon range... :wink: (And guess who's got a used Grayline he'd like to get rid of??)

The screen that was suggested earlier is probably your best bet for keeping the overflow from getting plugged on that built-in tank.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey all, I tried those strainers a while back. The holes are too small. It will very shortly plug up from all the shad puke, excrement etc... and your baitwell will overflow. This is fact!

I ended up using a stainless steel wire puller doo-daddy, kinda like chinese finger-cuffs or whatever. The name escapes me now. Found the right size and pushed the pull-end into the pvc. It has worked great ever since. I haven't had a dead baitfish plug it up all summer.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Marty you might call Jen here at the bait shop. She sells them and sometimes has people looking for used ones.

Kirk i can bring mine this week end if you would like to try one before buying one. Mine is round though and Martys is the oval shaped like Jim has.

11. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I will have to get a bigger boat if I was to add one. :big_smile:

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ha, I think your 24' is as big as they make Kirk....:0a22:
    Really though if you want me to I will bring it along.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's plenty of room up on the second floor, isn't there??

14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I forgot about the second floor, hmm

15. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    No, I won't need it, but thank you anyway.