Livewell for pontoon

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by rivertoon, May 11, 2009.

1. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well I finally did it. I bought a 100 gallon stock tank and turned it into a livewell. I was afraid it might be too heavy for my boat but it is rated for 15 people and I don't remember the weight rating but I thought I would try it. I put the over flow at 16 inches and that is just over half full. I guess to be between 60 and 70 gallons at the most. I place the pump on the end one toon and ran pvc up to the tank. I placed a tee just before the elbow goin into the tank for more air. I teed the overflow into the drainline with a valve and through the floor of the boat. I do not have any pics and have not yet tried it but I hope to this weekend. I will post the results after my first use. I hope all goes well.:eek:oooh:

2. catsey

catsey New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    HI.THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT ADDITION.IM BACK FROM THE WINTER IN TEXAS. MAYBE WE CAN FISH THE OHIO AGAIN.HOWS YOUR SON DOING?
    THIS TOURNY AT HAWESVILLE ON SUNDAY,SOUNDS INTERESTING.HOPE TO HEAR BACK WITH MORE INFO.DONT KNOW IF THEY ALLOW STRINGERS OR HAVE TO HAVE A TANK LIKE YOURS.
    TAKE CARE, JIM

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think you got it together Bro. That stock tank should make one heck of a livewell.

4. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    My son broke his arm in a 4-wheeler accident but he is ok. Two more weeks and the cast comes off. Haven't fished sine we went last. Work has taken up all of my time. I have worked 402 hours of overtime this year so far but I am not complaining. You do have to have some kind of livewell for the tourny. I have made plans with a friend to try to fish this but who knows with the weather and th shape of the river.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I never fished a torney but I think the fish has to be alive at weigh-in.

6. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    yes all fish must be alive and i have the same livewell 100 gal i put 70 gal in mine i put akwa-lung on it with 1100 gph pump and it works great. hope you made a good lid so it don't let the water out i had to add on to my lid.
    added a back slash. for the door.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Do you have any pictures of the way you made the lid? I have the same set up on my toon, but don't have a lid.

8. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I got to try out the livewell yesterday. It worked great but the overflow is too small. The 1200 gph pump puts out too much for the 3/4 inch line. I just shut off the pump about every 5 or 10 min. We had a good day with 16 cats, 8 strippers, 4 drum. The cats ranged from 6 inches to in between 20-30 lbs. The water level at Cannelton is still about two feet high with temp. at 67 and a little color. I am going to try to get back there today.

9. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    At this time I don't have a lid but I am planning on building one that hindges in the middle. I am still debating on treated plywood or lexan.

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS.

11. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I just made a livewell for my pontoon last week for a tournament that lasted 26 hours. I used a 140 quart cooler, one of the long white ones about 4 ft long by 2 1/2 wide by 3 foot deep. I used a 1200GPH bilge pump with 1" pvc pipe, I ran an elbow off the pump to a straight pipe, to a t and ran pipe of each end of the t with caps on the end. I drilled hole in the pipe coming off of the t. I drilled a small hole in the top back of the cooler for the wires, and an air tube that was hooked into a bubble with an airstone. The tube and airstone is inside the main pvc pipe coming out of the bilge pump. It worked really well, after 26 hours of fishing all five fish were just as lively as they were when I pulled them into the boat. The only thing with this setup is every couple of hours I need to use a bucked to remove water, and add fresh water from the river into the cooler. The holes on the pvc pipe where the water comes out from out top, need cleaned every couple of hours as well, all I do is pull the end pipes off of the t and shake them to get the debris out. This setup was fairly cheap, not the prettiest, but it works great. Anybody have any ideas on how to improve it. Will take pics and post if anybody wants to see how it's setup. The power source is an additional marine battery that I have a light pole running off of as well. The light pole has a regular 11-57 head light bulb on the end that sits about 10 ft above the boat to keep the skeeters off of you, and gives enough light to walk around and see the poles.