Livewell for pontoon

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by rivertoon, Apr 5, 2009.

1. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am wanting to build a livewell for my pontoon. I want something bigger then the 55 gallon drum cut in half that I use now but I wonder how much weight I can fight without much problems. The boat is a 24 foot party barge. I do want to be able to remove it. I have been looking into a 100gallon rubbermate watering tank. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Thats what I use. I got some 7 gal buckets and drilled holes in them. I set them in the end of the trough and keep my bait in them.

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Water weighs 8.35 lbs per gallon so using a hundred gallon tank....wow that's alot of weight!!! Of course a 24 ft party barge is capable of holding 12 people with a cap. of 1800 lbs, I think you should be alright. Maybe a couple of ballast bars across the inside to keep water from sloshing so much? If you cant get any bait , you can substitute it as a jacuzzi!!!:smile2:

Good luck
    Bill

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont worry so much about the overall weight. It's the concentrated weight over a few square feet.
    Next thing you do is hit a wake and break a deck support on the pontoon.

Aint much to a pontoon boat.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I only put about 40 gals in mine

6. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I had a pontoon I used a truck tool box that goes across behind the cab. Used an air bubbler and a bilge pump to recirc through a spray head. never lost a fish in a tourney. No problem with weight.
    Steve