Livewell for my boat

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by Seth, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    My boat is a 1650 with a 50 hp Yamaha jet on the back. These are the front and back pictures of the boat.

Front
    [​IMG]
    Back
    [​IMG]

The previous owner kept the coolers in front using one for beverages/food and one for a livewell. I have been wanting a bigger live for my boat, but the only spot I have room would be in this empty space where the coolers usually sit.

I found this online and it looks like what I have been wanting. It's 48" x 42" x 12" x 12" deep. This will fit perfectly in the empty space in the front of the boat.
    [​IMG]

I know weight distribution is the big thing. Right now, I have two 6 gallon tanks beneath the front half of the back deck as you can see in the picture. There is a cranking battery in the very back left for the motor and a deep cycle for the trolling motor, bilge pump, and lights underneath the drivers seat.

Do you think I have enough weight in the back to still be safe if I have the livewell filled up with water in the front?

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Looks like it will work great Seth.
    You can allways move some weight to the back if needed. Chances are if you were useing the two coolers as a live well and full of ice, food, ect. you probably had about that much weight up front allready. Fill it up and see if it still floats :big_smile: You can adjust the fill level in the well if all else fails.
    Looks good send some pics. when you get it done....

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Don't forget to include your weight and who ever else is with you. That should even things out. Actually I would not worry about it. It's not like your drag racing on the water and need the performance.

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Everybody so far has told me that it shouldn't be a problem. The only concern I have now is that they say it will be hard on the fish. Catfish are pretty hardy so should I worry about it or not?

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Seth,
    With the measurements you listed it that live well was totally full of water it would hold approx 28 gallons to the top 9 I know the overflow will be some below the top of the tank so that will decrease the water and the weight). That would be roughly 225 pounds of added weight.
    My guess is that the 50 hp motor is at the max for that boat.
    With that in mind you need to consider the max capacity in weight for your boat. Figure the weight for all you gear, coolers, gas, batteries, persons, etc and see how much more weight your boat would handle. Better to do some match now than some swimming later.
    You can look at an Akwa Lung system to keep the fish healthier in the tank or any tank for that matter.
    Just my thoughts.:big_smile:

thanks
    David

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    My dad weighs 315 pounds so he puts quite a load in the boat too. It didn't seem to affect the boat much, other than we used more fuel, when him, my girlfriend and myself were in the boat.

I think it should be fine. There probably won't be many times when I actually have it filled up anyhow because I don't keep many big fish in it, but it would be nice to know I can if I ever want too (or catch one to begin with). :smile2:

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where was that live well for sale at, I have been looking for one myself but they all seem to be smaller than that.

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
  9. Florida Rick

Florida Rick New Member

State:
    Iowa
  10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Yep,
    Plus now they are a BOC sponsor. Looks like some very nice products. I wish I would have know about them before i built my tanks.:sad2::eek:oooh:

Thanks
    David

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Since this topic was brought back to life, I have another question. Where do you run the plumbing for your livewells? The ribs on the side of my boat already have wires going through them so I'm not sure where I could run the plumbing.

I'm guessing that most of the big sea arks have a slightly raised floor so you can run it underneath the flooring right?